AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmantweed View Post
also i did not say they were no good - there is just better out there for the money.
bassmantweed.......So buy a mini Mac, a monitor, airport express, a DAC, and have a blast.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-20-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
bassmantweed.......So buy a mini Mac, a monitor, airport express, a DAC, and have a blast.
I did - except i ran the video through my Mx119 so i have my music interface/internet/video/ email/ general computer applications/pc games on my widescreen and i am having a blast.

from what I hear a good DAc is in order either way you go.

Last edited by bassmantweed; 06-20-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
i have done my research and yes a mac does all that as well - and Much Much more.

Plus people often forget that a sonos by itself is useless you need a pc or laptop or some storage device which adds to the cost. i think people love the sonos because it is "easy" and they are not aware of what can be done with a little work.
I like Mac. I have multiple Mac laptops, multiple iPods and my wife and I have iPhones. The Itunes interface for an audio system is mediocre at best. Yes it is good for loading your iPod and iPhone but not for running an audio system. That is what the SonoS does is interface with my server and Rhapsody and Pandora, etc. That is how I get my music from my two channel room to my whole house system.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:03 AM

My comments were pretty slanted towards the hardware aspect. I honestly have never had n opportunity to play with the interface as i have not had a need. I would be interested in checking it out. maybe they have a demo on the website.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:20 AM

DISCLAIMER: i love my Sonos system and have four Zones now, probably going to get uo to around 8+ when wife and i have our next home done. Wife has the Apple and Air thingy. My review of the Sonos is at Sonos Multi-Room Music System Great sound and ease of use within a homewide audio system. Review By Steven R. Rochlin

Quote:
i have done my research and yes a mac does all that as well - and Much Much more.
Apple? Multizone with different signals/music, plus perfectly sny'ec timing between zones with same music? How about analog input for each zone like Sonos does? S/PDIF output for each zone like Sonos? Price competitive to boot?

Quote:
Plus people often forget that a sonos by itself is useless you need a pc or laptop or some storage device which adds to the cost.
Pretty much ALL systems are like that BUT the Sonos really only needs a NAS drive for your music files and that is it. You can get Pandora, Last.fm, Rhapsody etc already built in to the Sonos system so no compuyer needed there. The SOnos also does not eat up your wireless bandwidth and i HATE having my main computer system subjected to wireless due to security risks.

Quote:
i think people love the sonos because it is "easy" and they are not aware of what can be done with a little work.
While i agree there is more out there, did not want to deal with the lackluster remote of the Slim nor the constant updates... and if i wanted high-rez that means four transporters (that adds up to BIG $$$ fast).

Quote:
still not sure why people are so in love with these. They are way overpriced and limiting. for $999 i could buy a mac mini an i pod touch and 2 airport express wap's
Apple? Multizone with different signals, plus perfectly sny'ec timing between zones with same music? How about analog input for each zone like Sonos does? S/PDIF output for each zone like Sonos?

Ok, i DO admit i wish the Sonos did proper high-rez audio support (24/192) and HDTV-quality video. For me it came down to price, flexibility and with an external DAC (i have a sea of them here) the sound quality is very impressive, even on Pandora, Last.fm, or various 'high resolution' streaming radio stations. Of course lossless music from the NAS is better.

The remote of the Sonos is a joy to use, even blindfolded i can go fwd/back songs, volume adjust, etc. The Sonos can use the Apple iTouch/iPhone of course.

Is the Sonos the end-all be-all, of course not. Pony up the HUGE dollars and get Sooloos or the like. Yet for me, the ANALOG input was crucial as i stream the livingroom turntable, or perhaps a cable TV program through the home from the livingroom source, or perhaps Internet items from the office computer to the bathroom or...

Add to that, the Sonos system simply works without much effort from Yours Truly. When my TV needs firmware updates, my cell phone had an update then i had to reload all my apps... am getting tired of having to redo things during all these darn updates!

Agree the Sonos is not the panicle (and you do not pay those prices, get the Sooloos if you have big bucks), yet the Sonos works, sounds really good and makes me happy for hours on end with a price worth the features i desire. Am having a lot of fun now while playing the waiting game a few more years when i can have a full media server built into Win 7 or the like and for lowish dollars have a centralized server with all files or a 8TB+ raid setup.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Merry Christmas to all

emjoythemusic.......Thank you. You hit on most of the points I like about my Sonos system. I have three zones, a ZP90 in the main system that feeds a digital output to the ESS Saber DACs in my MCD500. I have another ZP90 in my recording studio that feeds a digital output to the ESS Saber DACs in my MCD500 in the McIntosh system down there. In addition, I have a ZP120, with its 55 watts per channel internal amplifier, driving a pair of JBL's on my deck outside. The studio ZP90, and the ZP120 for the deck are wirelessly connected to the ZP90 in the main system. The Sonos proprietary WiFi connection between it's zone players provides a stronger, more reliable WiFi signal than a wireless G signal. I can control all of the zone players from any computer in the house or studio, from the Sonos CR100 controller, and from my iPod Touch using the free application downloaded from the Apple Store. Through the ethernet connection of the ZP90 in the main system, I have access to my entire FLAC library of CDs on my McIntosh MS750 music server, which can also be controlled from any computer, the CR100 controller and the iPod Touch, and accessed on each or all of the zones.

The simplicity of the Sonos setup is a blessing, not to be discounted because there's no "real work" involved. Who cares about that. I want good music, internet streaming capabilities, access to my server hard drive FLAC files, and easy set up. The Sonos has it all, including the ability to have seperate programming on each zone, with completely independent control of each zone including volume. Apple's mini Mac is nowhere near that.

Don't overlook the quality of the internal DACs in the ZP90's either. In direct comparison with the ultra high quality ESS Saber dual quad DACs in the McIntosh MCD500, I found the ZP90 DACs to be admirable performers. So there is no need to purchase outboard DACs to be up an running with this system. All and all, Sonos is a slick, well designed system.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Listener in Training

I'm very happy with my Mac Mini, using it for some things the Sonos doesn't do, but do look forward to complementing the Mac Mini with Sonos down the road (i.e., playing multi-zone, etc.).
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 06-21-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
emjoythemusic.......Thank you. You hit on most of the points I like about my Sonos system. I have three zones, a ZP90 in the main system that feeds a digital output to the ESS Saber DACs in my MCD500. I have another ZP90 in my recording studio that feeds a digital output to the ESS Saber DACs in my MCD500 in the McIntosh system down there. In addition, I have a ZP120, with its 55 watts per channel internal amplifier, driving a pair of JBL's on my deck outside. The studio ZP90, and the ZP120 for the deck are wirelessly connected to the ZP90 in the main system. The Sonos proprietary WiFi connection between it's zone players provides a stronger, more reliable WiFi signal than a wireless G signal. I can control all of the zone players from any computer in the house or studio, from the Sonos CR100 controller, and from my iPod Touch using the free application downloaded from the Apple Store. Through the ethernet connection of the ZP90 in the main system, I have access to my entire FLAC library of CDs on my McIntosh MS750 music server, which can also be controlled from any computer, the CR100 controller and the iPod Touch, and accessed on each or all of the zones.

The simplicity of the Sonos setup is a blessing, not to be discounted because there's no "real work" involved. Who cares about that. I want good music, internet streaming capabilities, access to my server hard drive FLAC files, and easy set up. The Sonos has it all, including the ability to have seperate programming on each zone, with completely independent control of each zone including volume. Apple's mini Mac is nowhere near that.

Don't overlook the quality of the internal DACs in the ZP90's either. In direct comparison with the ultra high quality ESS Saber dual quad DACs in the McIntosh MCD500, I found the ZP90 DACs to be admirable performers. So there is no need to purchase outboard DACs to be up an running with this system. All and all, Sonos is a slick, well designed system.
Sounds like a very nice setup. Can you play there seperate sources at the same time in different zones or could you play say 3 different playlists from your sours files. BTW how do you store your files?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

bassmantweed.......Yes, playing seperates playlist, seperate streams (Rhapsody on one zone, Last.FM on another zone), or access the MS750 hard drive for one zone, an internet radio station for a second zone, and Rhapsody for the third zone. Each zone can have the volume independently controlled, or linked together so a single control raises and lowers all three zones together.

I originally purchased the Bundle 150, which is the ZP90, the ZP120, and the CR100 Controller. I added the charging cradle for the CR100 Controller. Then I added another ZP90 to the studio system. Sonos is a sophisticated network system, that is easy to set up.

If you'd like to check it out, the Sonos website has a lot of information. Go here: Sonos - Home and look around.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
bassmantweed.......Yes, playing seperates playlist, seperate streams (Rhapsody on one zone, Last.FM on another zone), or access the MS750 hard drive for one zone, an internet radio station for a second zone, and Rhapsody for the third zone. Each zone can have the volume independently controlled, or linked together so a single control raises and lowers all three zones together.

I originally purchased the Bundle 150, which is the ZP90, the ZP120, and the CR100 Controller. I added the charging cradle for the CR100 Controller. Then I added another ZP90 to the studio system. Sonos is a sophisticated network system, that is easy to set up.

If you'd like to check it out, the Sonos website has a lot of information. Go here: Sonos - Home and look around.

I guess I missed that one - THAT is a pretty cool feature.
I will look a little closer.