AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 06-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Aficionado Charter Member

I have been a Cobra fan for a long time, Serge! Looking forward to following your quest!

Houston Upstairs - C1000C/T, MX170, MC1.2KW x 4, MC501 x 2, MC252, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, MEN220, MPC1500, XRT1K's, XCS1K, XLS320's, Gotham, Sony VPL-VW675ES, Sony XBR-55X930E, Panasonic DP-UB9000, Apple TV 4K, Kaleidescape Strato C, Roon Core on Nucleus & MS600
Houston Downstairs - Den (Zone A): MX122, MR88, MCD500, MVP871, MC207, DD18, Sony XBR-75Z9D, OPPO BDP-203, Sonos Port, Apple TV 4K, Sooloos MS200, B&W 805 Diamond x 2, B&W HTM4 Diamond, B&W CWM8 x 2; Living Room (Zone B): Sony XBR-65Z9D, MC402 & XR200's

Austin Theater - MX180, MC8207, MI254; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Kaleidescape Strato; OPPO UDP-203; Sooloos MS200; Apple TV 4K; Sonos Connect; Paradigm Signature S8 (2), C5, SIG-1.5R-v.3 (4) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 (4), SUB2; JVC RS3100; Sony XR-85X95K; Screen Innovations Black Diamond 2.35:1
Austin Den - Marantz AV7701, MM7055; Paradigm Studio 10 v5 (2), Studio CC-590 v5, RVC-12SQ, SA-10R (2); Sony XBR-65Z9D; Apple TV 4K
Old 06-05-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
I have been a Cobra fan for a long time, Serge! Looking forward to following your quest!
John, I knew you'd be excited about this project!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Perhaps it would be interesting to take a trip down the memory lane and start where it all began. The AC ACE Bristol

[ame=http://youtu.be/XAssSY0Noeo]AC Ace BRISTOL - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM

Serge:

I think the lines and dimensions are what drives people to choose one kit over the other. Kirkham makes the only aluminum body which intrigued me but their body is a bit larger (beautiful car) and it cost a bit more. The more you see the kits in person you can start to see some of the differences between the makes and one will appeal to you more than the rest. Resale comes into play a bit too. FF, for whatever reason, don't appear to hold its value as well as Superformance, ERA and Kirkham.

As for the motors, I wanted a stroked small block with a mildly aggressive cam. No heat issues and better handling IMO. An all aluminum BB would be nice too tho Just a few more $. Half the fun is planning/researching I'd suggest going to a local cobra meet and chatting it up. We all love to talk when it comes to our hobbies/passions.

More importantly, since I passed on one, I'm anxious to live vicariously through you and see what you get Good luck.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:40 PM

Serge,

I don't mean to throw a cold towel on this idea but..... I think you will hate driving this car and since its a kit you will never get your money back. It will not handle like a porsche or ferrari; 2 sports car brands you are used to driving and love. I know the cobra looks really cool but it makes a better fantasy then a reality
Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
Serge:

I think the lines and dimensions are what drives people to choose one kit over the other. Kirkham makes the only aluminum body which intrigued me but their body is a bit larger (beautiful car) and it cost a bit more. The more you see the kits in person you can start to see some of the differences between the makes and one will appeal to you more than the rest. Resale comes into play a bit too. FF, for whatever reason, don't appear to hold its value as well as Superformance, ERA and Kirkham.

As for the motors, I wanted a stroked small block with a mildly aggressive cam. No heat issues and better handling IMO. An all aluminum BB would be nice too tho Just a few more $. Half the fun is planning/researching I'd suggest going to a local cobra meet and chatting it up. We all love to talk when it comes to our hobbies/passions.

More importantly, since I passed on one, I'm anxious to live vicariously through you and see what you get Good luck.
Yeah, value, holding value, etc... and replica cars don't really go in the same sentence. Only the real Cobras will keep appreciating with time. I guess this is a project of passion or one can just simply buy pre-owned and save $$$!

It was already suggested to me not to go with iron sleeved aluminum blocks....

I'm not up to speed here but are Roush "427" engines 351 Windsor small block strokers? I think the Roush solution may be an elegant one. I like the idea of fuel injection too!!!

Here is a Roush 402IR "Weber-style" 8-Stack Fuel Injected in a Speed 33 hot rod. 500/500 HP/TQ Sweet!

[ame=http://youtu.be/f_5L4vNjRDI]Startup of Speed33 with ROUSH 402IR - 500+hp - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by PHC1; 06-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Serge,

I don't mean to throw a cold towel on this idea but..... I think you will hate driving this car and since its a kit you will never get your money back. It will not handle like a porsche or ferrari; 2 sports car brands you are used to driving and love. I know the cobra looks really cool but it makes a better fantasy then a reality
David, I still have the 911TT, it's not going anywhere. The Cobra is just something very different for when the mood strikes. Raw, mechanical, pure, spartan, exciting!!! You know how it is with modern performance cars, there is very little drama. A Cobra will make your palms sweat! Cheaper than a Ferrari too!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:46 PM

The Roush 402IR with a 4.00"X4.00" bore/stroke

The bigger 427IR brother with 4.125"X4.00" bore/stroke and same 8-Weber style fuel injection stacks.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Curtis was fine until the divorce lawyer called and said the EX got the house AND the Cobra!

[ame=http://youtu.be/yvHcrCzkSl4]Destroying Ex-Wife's house - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Serge:

I am under the impression that the Roush motors use a Windsor block. Someone with more knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for your thoughts on value and of buying used, that's where my road took me. Over $100k for the way that I want it v $60-70k used. I am a realist and I knew I wouldn't keep the car forever so saving 30% appealed very much to me. But, I couldn't sleep right if I knew the Cobra wasn't built the way that I wanted it. Basically indecision killed my two year quest. As David says, perhaps a better fantasy. I too have a 997 TT but as you say, different animal to suit a different mood.

Check out the cobra club forums...very helpful. On the carb v fuel injection, I've read nightmare stories for both but a carb'd motor is cheaper to wrench. A semi-aggressive cam will get either to sound sick! And let's face it, with no emissions, the growl is almost as fun as the speed.

Keep is posted