AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
Superformance the way to go IMHO. Order a crate motor from Keith Craft, get a good builder and a nice paint job and you're golden Just be careful. 500+ HP, short wheelbase, 2400lbs car = danger.

Of course Shelby continuation series not bad either.

I did a ton of research and almost pulled the trigger a few years back. Perhaps I live vicariously through you
I'd love to learn from your research since I am only starting.... Perhaps we can chat sometime.

Superformance does seem to be a name that is highly regarded in the replica Cobra world. Of course Superformance is the ONLY Cobra replica that was Shelby approved. I have heard that the Shelby continuation series and Superformance MKIII's come from the same factory in S.Africa but the Shelby versions are completed here in the states. Of course the Shelby are more authentic suspension wise but the MKIIIs are better drivers and are more forgiving for street use.

The Superformance factory does seem to be a well run operation.

[ame=http://youtu.be/2ud1q48viZ4]Superformance Factory - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
I'm not a Cobra expert but in my mind it needs to be a BIG BLOCK, 427 cid all the way with two four barrels or four Weber's. Now that get my engine racing
A heavy big block with tons of HP is not necessarily the "right" choice for everyone. It really depends. In my case I want the car to turn just as well as going straight. It is a really light car with fiberglass body, excessive HP is great for bragging rights but may get one into trouble real quick. I'd like to get a good balance of drive-ability, nimble handling and smooth and reliable engine operation. Fuel injection small block may be the way to go for my taste. These Cobras are wildly overpowered to begin with.

[ame=http://youtu.be/3yg1LKnRDGM]AC Cobra Crash - Idiot hits curb - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by PHC1; 06-05-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 PM

A 427 "Stroker" (351) Small Block. Sounds nice!

[ame=http://youtu.be/6mh1p4LjJ44]427" Stroker Small Block Shelby Cobra - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Beautiful Cobra with a 302 crate motor....

[ame=http://youtu.be/xjqA75zFgOw]Shelby Cobra - The Engine Sounds Wild - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Beautiful Cobra with a 302 crate motor....

Shelby Cobra - The Engine Sounds Wild - YouTube
Nice car for sure but with a 302 he needs to have his 427 badge revoked
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
A heavy big block with tons of HP is not necessarily the "right" choice for everyone. It really depends. In my case I want the car to turn just as well as going straight. It is a really light car with fiberglass body, excessive HP is great for bragging rights but may get one into trouble real quick. I'd like to get a good balance of drive-ability, nimble handling and smooth and reliable engine operation. Fuel injection small block may be the way to go for my taste. These Cobras are wildly overpowered to begin with.

AC Cobra Crash - Idiot hits curb - YouTube
Your right and that's why you go with a aluminum block As for ones driving skill one obviously needs to know ones limitations. I work at a BMW dealer and we of course sell the "ultimate driving machine" and see them come in having been stacked up all the time. What one need remember is they don't make you the ultimate driver
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Nice car for sure but with a 302 he needs to have his 427 badge revoked
Hmmm, I think you're right!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Your right and that's why you go with a aluminum block As for ones driving skill one obviously needs to know ones limitations. I work at a BMW dealer and we of course sell the "ultimate driving machine" and see them come in having been stacked up all the time. What one need remember is they don't make you the ultimate driver
Any thoughts on the Roush 427IR? I don't know where it falls in terms of weight. Looks great.... but it is a brute at 560HP though. ROUSH Performance Engines

Old 06-05-2012, 03:43 PM

I really should research much more but I am partial to the Superformance kit already... Spoke to a shop owner who has done quite a few of these, he is probably biased since he sells the Superformance and Shelby Cobras but in his opinion there are those two and then everything else... What you pay is what you get I guess. I'm not sure how far apart the few top brands really are in terms of quality and design.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:46 PM

This certainly wouldn't hurt resale value down the road for Superformance replica.