AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 09-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Oops, I forgot about that.

Oh, BTW, I saw the Ovation in person at my local dealer today. Absolutely beautiful table! Congrats.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Oops, I forgot about that.

Oh, BTW, I saw the Ovation in person at my local dealer today. Absolutely beautiful table! Congrats.
Yeah, ya gotta love the Clearaudio looks and fit & finish. It is beautiful. I am very happy with it. It sounds fantastic and such a huge upgrade over what I had.

I just got the new SolidSteel WS-5 wall bracket for it, to replace my 25 yr old Target. One can really see how much better quality the SolidSteel is. And unlike the Target, it's true all around. But it cost twice as much too.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 AM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Guys, let me elaborate on my position a bit; lest you think I'm a total heretic.

First...in no way was I advocating a 9:1, or 90/10 split between speakers and electronics. Two...I am definitely NOT one of those "all amps sound the same, so buy something cheap" guys. Three...I was really talking strictly (since the subject reared its head, off the obscene...but enviable...Pass Xs 150s) about speakers vs. power amps; source and pre-amp...making up the sum total of "front-end" or "the electronics"...is another matter.

It's a complex subject, and an inexact science...in the sense it's really a matter of taste anyway; but I still say...if you had only $10k, to divide between speakers and power amp...you'd get better sound with a good pair of $9k speakers (like the C1s for example), and a good $1k amp...than a really good $9k amp, and so-so pair of $1k speakers (typical speakers, costing $1k...Stephens ERAs maybe being an exception to the rule). Again, if for no other reason than, I just think it's easier to cheaply make a "good" power amp...if you really wanted to...than good speakers.

But let's move beyond this tired debate, and focus on something audiophiles love to do; offer me advice on how to spend more...lol. As per my philosophy, I've tried plenty of amps in that $2-4k new, $1-2 used range. Let's see...offerings from BAT, Belles, C-J, McCormack; even a class-D model from Wyred4Sound (so not quite A-Z, but close...lol).

They've been quality kit, for their price; and right now, I'm happy with the warm, rich, full sound offered up by my C-J ET-3 pre-amp...and BIG, clean muscle of the McCormack DNA-225. But I am already thinking about what comes next, and stepping up that next wrung on the ladder.

In the kinda $8-10k new, $4-5k used range; what are some of the brands to consider? Sure, I can look at Audiogon like anyone else; and I'm partial to tried-and-true, always-seem-to-be-at-the-top-of-everyones-fav-list names...the aforementioned Pass being at the top of mine right now (a more reasonable X250.5 fitting the bill nicely); but it's always fun to hear what you guys suggest. Of course, then...I'll need to step the pre-amp up to an SE; but so it goes

Last edited by CDLehner; 09-30-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Guys, let me elaborate on my position a bit; lest you think I'm a total heretic.

First...in no way was I advocating a 9:1, or 90/10 split between speakers and electronics. Two...I am definitely NOT one of those "all amps sound the same, so buy something cheap" guys. Three...I was really talking strictly (since the subject reared its head, off the obscene...but enviable...Pass Xs 150s) about speakers vs. power amps; source and pre-amp...making up the sum total of "front-end" or "the electronics"...is another matter.

It's a complex subject, and an inexact science...in the sense it's really a matter of taste anyway; but I still say...if you had only $10k, to divide between speakers and power amp...you'd get better sound with a good pair of $9k speakers (like the C1s for example), and a good $1k amp...than a really good $9k amp, and so-so pair of $1k speakers (typical speakers, costing $1k...Stephens ERAs maybe being an exception to the rule). Again, if for no other reason than, I just think it's easier to cheaply make a "good" power amp...if you really wanted to...than good speakers.

But let's move beyond this tired debate, and focus on something audiophiles love to do; offer me advice on how to spend more...lol. As per my philosophy, I've tried plenty of amps in that $2-4k new, $1-2 used range. Let's see...offerings from BAT, Belles, C-J, McCormack; even a class-D model from Wyred4Sound (so not quite A-Z, but close...lol).

They've been quality kit, for their price; and right now, I'm happy with the warm, rich, full sound offered up by my C-J ET-3 pre-amp...and BIG, clean muscle of the McCormack DNA-225. But I am already thinking about what comes next, and stepping up that next wrung on the ladder.

In the kinda $8-10k new, $4-5k used range; what are some of the brands to consider? Sure, I can look at Audiogon like anyone else; and I'm partial to tried-and-true, always-seem-to-be-at-the-top-of-everyones-fav-list names...the aforementioned Pass being at the top of mine right now (a more reasonable X250.5 fitting the bill nicely); but it's always fun to hear what you guys suggest. Of course, then...I'll need to step the pre-amp up to an SE; but so it goes
Well, for $5K you could find yourself a used Octave V70SE. That will really make your Dyns sing.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
Thanks Stephen. I know about the Music Direct policy. I don't like the buy it and return it strategy. If something is marginal I'm too prone to end up keeping it and having remorse about it later. I prefer borrowing from my dealer and giving them the business.

If MusicDirect has these two, they don't show up via their search, nor listed in the pop menu in their Analog store.

But it doesn't matter really. I am not in the market for a new phono stage. I just got my Nova not that long ago.
I don't like either approach. For one thing, I don't want to pay full retail, but putting that aside, borrowing gear from a dealer, while good, still leaves you making a buying decision while you are in that initial new gear euphoria. It takes me more than a weekend to truly decide I truly love a piece of gear.

I also don't like how Music Direct and all the 30 day try & buy places make you call them up for a RA# before returning. Why can't I get that online? Because when you call, then you have to argue with the sales guy about returning it. I don't want that stress.

So what is the solution? How can I get long home demos, and not pay full retail? Buy used gear. For me this is the best solution. All the gear I buy, I buy without audition. So for me, the first 90 days of ownership IS the audition. If I don't like it, I sell it back to the used market and recoup 90% to 110% of my investment. It's a great solution for me.

But what if everyone did this? They won't so don't sweat it. Some people can afford not to care about losing 30% or 40% on gear when they box swap. More power to them.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
I don't like either approach. For one thing, I don't want to pay full retail, but putting that aside, borrowing gear from a dealer, while good, still leaves you making a buying decision while you are in that initial new gear euphoria. It takes me more than a weekend to truly decide I truly love a piece of gear.

I also don't like how Music Direct and all the 30 day try & buy places make you call them up for a RA# before returning. Why can't I get that online? Because when you call, then you have to argue with the sales guy about returning it. I don't want that stress.

So what is the solution? How can I get long home demos, and not pay full retail? Buy used gear. For me this is the best solution. All the gear I buy, I buy without audition. So for me, the first 90 days of ownership IS the audition. If I don't like it, I sell it back to the used market and recoup 90% to 110% of my investment. It's a great solution for me.

But what if everyone did this? They won't so don't sweat it. Some people can afford not to care about losing 30% or 40% on gear when they box swap. More power to them.
jaxhow are the Focus'? Still pushing them with the NAD?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:

My dealer will give me full credit for a trade-in for a year. If I don't like something I can trade for something else of the same type (i.e. speaker for speaker, preamp for preamp). I get used and ex-dem (S3.4, Ovation) gear too from my dealer. That has worked out well.

No one solution is perfect. I don't like the stress of buying used sight unseen and reselling again if I don't like it. For some things (e.g. phono cartridges) I don't mind buying new.

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 09-30-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightZeroZeroDelta View Post
jaxhow are the Focus'? Still pushing them with the NAD?
Yes, I still have the NAD. I currently have two systems. Both of them are running my Focus 340s. I have the M2 which is powerful and rich sounding. And then I have a sweet little setup that involves a benchmark DAC1 into a placette RVC into a musical fidelity A3cr amp. That system has jaw dropping transparency. I like both flavors alot.

The Focus 340s are great. I really loved the PMC OB1i's I had before the Dynaudios, but I never like the aesthetics. The 340s look awesome in white and have the modern vibe I wanted while sounding great too. Overall, I'm very happy with the 340s.

Here's a pic:

Old 09-30-2012, 03:58 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Well, for $5K you could find yourself a used Octave V70SE. That will really make your Dyns sing.
Dean, I know they're highly regarded...and maybe some day a "low-powered", tube amp will find its way into my system. But for now...I don't think a guy leaning toward a Pass X250.5, can consider a Octave V70SE as an alternative.

Quote:

Quote:
My dealer will give me full credit for a trade-in for a year. If I don't like something I can trade for something else of the same type (i.e. speaker for speaker, preamp for preamp). I get used and ex-dem (S3.4, Ovation) gear too from my dealer. That has worked out well.

No one solution is perfect. I don't like the stress of buying used sight unseen and reselling again if I don't like it. For some things (e.g. phono cartridges) I don't mind buying new.
I wholly agree with Jax's approach, and consider used-gear sites to be a god-send (and really...if I think about it; perhaps as wholly facilitating of my getting into the hi-end to start with. It making the price of entry easier and all). OTOH, that's a pretty good arrangement your dealer offers you Dean.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I wholly agree with Jax's approach, and consider used-gear sites to be a god-send (and really...if I think about it; perhaps as wholly facilitating of my getting into the hi-end to start with. It making the price of entry easier and all). OTOH, that's a pretty good arrangement your dealer offers you Dean.
I suppose if I were into trying out different things as my system I would be more into the web used market approach. But I prefer to get settled on a system and leave it to enjoy music.

It's taken me a while (18 months or so) but I'm now at the point where I have a system dialed in the way I want. I have one or two things I will add (VTA Lifter for the Ovation tonearm and Esotar2 tweeters for the S3.4s), but it won't involve changing the equipment I have. I'm settled on my Naim electronics. Now I also have the analog front end and speakers I can be happy with for a long time.

Don't knock the Octave stuff until you tried it. It is pretty awesome. I very nearly stopped going down the Naim path when I heard the V40SE.