AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2020, 11:21 PM
sandbites's Avatar
sandbites sandbites is offline
AJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 112
Default Watt puppy 5 or 7 compared to Sophia

Seeking advise.

I auditioned the watt puppy 3/2 and was enamored by it. I am about to buy the watt puppy 3/2 but the age is holding me back.
Turns out my budget allows me to get a watt puppy 5 or 7 or a sophia.
Question 1: As i am enamored by the 3/2's soundstage, presence and willfull base, will i be disappointed with the sophia?
Question 2:Should i just get the watt puppy 7?
I have these choices because in the pre-owned market they are within my budget's reach.
Question 3: is the watt puppy 3/2 too old for now? How about the watt puppy 5? Should i settle for at least the 7?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-11-2020, 11:50 PM
jpgr4blu jpgr4blu is offline
Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: new york city
Posts: 513
Default

To me, the biggest leap ever made by Wilson in the WP Series was:
WP6 to WP7
A close second was WP8 to Sasha.

I purchased the Sophia 1 (which I preferred over the WP6 solely on the basis of tonality and texture) much to my dealer's chagrin at the time.
But when I heard the WP7 a few years later, I felt that it combined the power, transparency and wide, deep soundstage of the WP6 with the tonality and texture of the Sophia. I purchased the WP7 and, frankly, could have lived with it forever.
Hope that answers your question.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2020, 08:27 AM
GSOphile GSOphile is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
To me, the biggest leap ever made by Wilson in the WP Series was:
WP6 to WP7
A close second was WP8 to Sasha.

I purchased the Sophia 1 (which I preferred over the WP6 solely on the basis of tonality and texture) much to my dealer's chagrin at the time.
But when I heard the WP7 a few years later, I felt that it combined the power, transparency and wide, deep soundstage of the WP6 with the tonality and texture of the Sophia. I purchased the WP7 and, frankly, could have lived with it forever.
Hope that answers your question.
+1 assuming your room and amp can support the 7. The Sophias are more amp friendly and may mate better with a smaller room.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Formerly YB-2's Avatar
Formerly YB-2 Formerly YB-2 is online now
Retired

 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ Shore
Posts: 7,309
Default

Listened to WP5 extensively (well.......... as long I could) and found them to be too 'bright' for my long-term pleasure. Much preferred my CUB II's. A few years later did the same with WP8 and found them much better, though with McIntosh solid-state amplification rather than ?? (I'll think of it eventually). Also listened to the Sophia I and it was better than the WP8 to me. Sophia II & III are supposed to a step up from the I (though I've only heard in passing). There are some great deals on factory certified IIs & IIIs at the moment.

Edit: They amps I could not recall were Theta.
__________________
Glenn...
Canton Ref 9K Clearaudio SM Pro Denon DP-80 w/AT33R, AT-VM740ML, AT-MONO3/LP, Benz Glider, Dynavector XX2 MKII, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cdza Blk & K-b Dual 701 Ortofon OM30 Grado GW100V2 Jelco HS-25 Nordost Valhalla Oppo 203 Orsonic AV-1b Pass Labs INT-25 QHW The Vinyl Shanling M3s Sony ST-J75, ST-A6B & TA-F6B Stax UA-7/CF Stillpoints LP1v2 WW 8/7 Pt, Au & Ag Yamamoto HS-2 & 4 Yamaha T-2

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 06-22-2022 at 10:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2020, 10:53 PM
jpgr4blu jpgr4blu is offline
Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: new york city
Posts: 513
Default

FYI, the WP8 was by most accounts (including mine) the first WP that was worse than the WP before it, the WP7. I agree that the Sophias were better than the WP8.
I drove my Sophias with a 100 WPC tube amp (McIntosh Mc2102). Then I purchased the WP7 and initially continued with the Mac and later used a 110 WPC tube amp (ARC Ref 110). Both drove the WP7s well in my room. My room size is 20x16 with a 9' ceiling.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2021, 09:36 PM
sandbites's Avatar
sandbites sandbites is offline
AJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 112
Default

I cannot seem to find WPs in the market so considering the sophia 1 or 2. I heard the WP3/2 and was impressed by the "bigness" in sound. It was not loudness but the speaker sounded big.

Will the Sophia 1 or 2 give that same presence, bigness as opposed to the WP3/2 considering it has only one woofer while the WP has two woofers?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2021, 01:14 AM
metaphacts's Avatar
metaphacts metaphacts is online now
Lower Provo River, UT
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Springville, Utah
Posts: 4,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbites View Post
I cannot seem to find WPs in the market so considering the sophia 1 or 2. I heard the WP3/2 and was impressed by the "bigness" in sound. It was not loudness but the speaker sounded big.

Will the Sophia 1 or 2 give that same presence, bigness as opposed to the WP3/2 considering it has only one woofer while the WP has two woofers?
You might want to call around to Wilson Authorized Dealers and ask if they have any Certified Authentic Watt/Puppies available. There seems to be quite a bit of refurbishment and resale going on over the past 18 months or so. Some dealers are moving them so quickly that an ad for them never appears. They sell them to their local client base.

Certified Authentic Watt Puppies regardless of vintage offer a 2 year Wilson Audio Factory Warranty when installed by the dealer and a 1 year Warranty even if not installed.

Good Luck in your search
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-28-2021, 02:45 AM
RH67 RH67 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 47
Default

I came back to Wilson after a 20yr. absence. I bought a nice pair of Watt Puppy 5.1`s and i could not be happier. In the last ten years i have owned Magico, DeVore and Audio Note speakers and the Watt Puppy 5.1 to me sound better than another speaker i have owned during the last 20yrs. I have a Pass XA25 and it`s a perfect match with the Watt Puppies.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-28-2021, 08:08 AM
sandbites's Avatar
sandbites sandbites is offline
AJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
You might want to call around to Wilson Authorized Dealers and ask if they have any Certified Authentic Watt/Puppies available. There seems to be quite a bit of refurbishment and resale going on over the past 18 months or so. Some dealers are moving them so quickly that an ad for them never appears. They sell them to their local client base.

Certified Authentic Watt Puppies regardless of vintage offer a 2 year Wilson Audio Factory Warranty when installed by the dealer and a 1 year Warranty even if not installed.

Good Luck in your search
Thank you for the tip on doing a round of the dealers
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-22-2022, 07:39 PM
45shooter 45shooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 100
Default

Hmmmm...... maybe wilson is for me. Seems like u will nevr have a prob resellng them down the road
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2022 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase