AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 07-03-2014, 04:41 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiobum View Post
Would agree that things move fast but, therefore there is no future proof. When 4k is the norm in content (or should I say IF) it will likely require an upgrade in HW.

Keep in mind the last must have - 3D. No offense to any of you or your kids but I never even bought the glasses.

I sure can't make up my mind so I think I'll hang onto my D8 thousand Sammy for another year and see what happens.

Hg
It is not always hard to determine if a technology succeed or fail. First question is are there competing standards... ala Betamax and Blu-Ray... if so, wait until there is a winner. Second, is it a good idea. I laughed when I heard about 3D TV... didn't pass the laugh test. Finally, 4K... absolutely. Most of the folks are well healed here, so this is a group where jumping in a little earlier and avoiding multiple upgrades is more likely to be a good idea. For me, 4K will come to my computer to replace my dual 30" screens for photo processing in my home office. I have two fairly new 70" TVs, so probably next year for 4K. But if I was in the market right now, I would buy a 70" 4K. No right answer for everyone, but 4K is amazing... and as pointed out, as content arrives. In the mean time, I would look at upsampled Blu-Ray (Oppo does now), and look at my photographs that actually look sharp on it... unlike the current crop of TV.

Also, someone mentioned they had one. I would just like to mention. Out of the box, they look hyper-real... it can be a little off putting. There are different modes. But the modes... like "Theater" and "Custome" are adjustable. There are about 50 or 60 parameters that are adjustable. You want to either have a professional adjust them or find someone who has published professional custom adjustments. Those adjustments take away the weird video like quality and keep the detail and make it look like "film". Tremendous difference on most HD and 4K TVs.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 PM

It still ain't easy...
Old 07-04-2014, 03:02 PM
The Eagles are back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
It still ain't easy...
It ain't gonna get no easier Michael
Old 07-04-2014, 05:26 PM

Gee, thanks Bob....I was beginning to lose hope!

70" to 75" 4K LED is rising to the top based on subjective personal preference weighted scores.

The positives: 14'-6" viewing distance, plenty of space to put it on my side by side Salamander Twin 30's, excellent refresh rates, will accommodate future content (unless someone changes the rules on 4K broadcast standards, rendering specs on my TV obsolete), standard 720p cable & 1920x1080p BluRay feeds look excellent, side angle viewing is good.

The negatives: 4K 70" to 75" TV's are expensive but I have no choice...my current TV is experiencing a PPEE (Progressive Pixel Extinction Event) and I have to do something now vs. wait for pricing to drop on the new tech. 4K content is limited, 4K has not quite caught up to plasma with respects to contrast and those deep blacks, some 4K sets have 45 - 60 individual screen settings to mess with, more LED units to fail although LED is supposed to be a super long life technology. But even if one of the numerous LED's fail, you can't replace just one. You may not be able to replace any and will either have to get a new TV or live with the shadow. LED TV's have a very reflective surface so I may have to invest in some blackout drapes to go over the 40" high x 96" wide window behind me.

But really, thanks for the encouragement, Bob!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:12 PM
The Eagles are back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Gee, thanks Bob....I was beginning to lose hope!

70" to 75" 4K LED is rising to the top based on subjective personal preference weighted scores.

The positives: 14'-6" viewing distance, plenty of space to put it on my side by side Salamander Twin 30's, excellent refresh rates, will accommodate future content (unless someone changes the rules on 4K broadcast standards, rendering specs on my TV obsolete), standard 720p cable & 1920x1080p BluRay feeds look excellent, side angle viewing is good.

The negatives: 4K 70" to 75" TV's are expensive but I have no choice...my current TV is experiencing a PPEE (Progressive Pixel Extinction Event) and I have to do something now vs. wait for pricing to drop on the new tech. 4K content is limited, 4K has not quite caught up to plasma with respects to contrast and those deep blacks, some 4K sets have 45 - 60 individual screen settings to mess with, more LED units to fail although LED is supposed to be a super long life technology. But even if one of the numerous LED's fail, you can't replace just one. You may not be able to replace any and will either have to get a new TV or live with the shadow. LED TV's have a very reflective surface so I may have to invest in some blackout drapes to go over the 40" high x 96" wide window behind me.

But really, thanks for the encouragement, Bob!
Michael
Glad I could help Have you decided on which brand yet?? May I suggest the Sony XBR65X900B. I can't link to it, but David Katzmaier of CNET says it is the best television he has tested this year. Sony also makes a 79 inch X900B. Be warned, it's pricey.

Check out the review if you like.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Learning to Listen

image-2983797052.jpg

Old 07-04-2014, 11:14 PM

Yes, the Sony XBR's are an impressive display.

I'm stuck between a Sony and a Samsung. Have to get back to the reviews and some CNET information which will, hopefully, help me with a final decision.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:52 PM

These days I feel Samsung has the best picture if you get 240 Hz and higher.
I buy them in smart & 3D, the smart ones can be upgraded like your computer now so as things evolve your covered. You can buy a control box that plugs into the back to receive updates. They work with all your computers, mobil divices, streemers well at least all my Appel products. You can pair and shaire screens they have there own WiFi. I mean their so smart some times I just want TV lol
Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
Michael, if there are Pani plasmas left, snag one. Enjoy it for five years while the OLED and 4K stuff gets worked out. I'll bring the popcorn.
Panasonic plasmas are great. And reliable. Got a Pana plasma myself and it will be there as long as it works. And with Pana it tends to be a long time especially when compairing to korean brands...
Old 07-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Rebellious!

The multi-attribute decision making is certainly tough here.

1) Buy what is available, it plays everything and it looks darn good. Streaming content is not even to the level of physical content and Blu-rays look fantastic.

2) Buy 4K, and wait for content to catch up, but enjoy what's available. Currently, there is not a bunch of 4K streaming content, but growing, and you have to have the internet link that supports it, maybe local download to a media device/computer.