AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-09-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
detect the difference* between DSD and PCM
I am curious too. I have yet to listen to a SACD, DSD or DXD. I'm not even sure I am quoting the formats correctly, but anything outside Vinyl, CD, AIFF/WAV/FLAC/MP3 and other compressed formats, I have no experience.

Have you, Bill? If so, can you relate your thoughts and experiences?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:56 AM
Rebellious!

Here's the verdict..

It all sounds awesome!

Old 04-09-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Here's the verdict.. It all sounds awesome!
Ok - kewl, Sticking with the formats I own is totally fine and generally equal to the other formats
Old 04-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Some links and info.
PS I have a ton of links on all these formats, but per the forum rules I can PM but wont post them here.
So if you want the links PM me

A word about the mastering process for DSD, DXD & SACD - high resolution audio For those who want to work in the DSD domain at 2.82MHz sampling rate for SACD production, Merging Technologies has a unique answer:

Pyramix is one of the only systems in the world to offer multi-track record/editing and mixing as well as mastering while maintaining all the real-time audio processing including of FX such as EQ, Dynamics, Reverb and Surround Sound in a DSD compatible quality level up to the final SACD master. Quite simply, to have only a mastering capability for DSD is not enough. Unless you can record, edit and process the signals in a true multi-track configuration, mastering makes little sense.

Pyramix is the first system with enough processing power and resolution to handle in real time a complete digital mixing console capable of operating in 32 bit floating point at 352.8 kHz, which is the minimum requirement to preserve all the intrinsic original quality of 1 bit 2.8MHz DSD signals.
With real-time EQ, Dynamics, Reverb etc, and with full SACD scarlet book specification for mastering, we can truly state that “Pyramix is the only commercially available system on the market that is capable of a complete multi-track source to master project for Super Audio CD production."
DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition)

A new format, DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition for high quality and low noise recording and editing for SACD), has recently been acknowledged by Philips and Sony. DXD was initially developed for Merging’s Pyramix DSD workstation and recognized as one of the best formats for DSD source recording
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dsd1.pdf (942.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf dxd sacd.pdf (154.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by djwhog; 04-09-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:56 PM
From the BAT cave ...

David, you will find that original recording skill and mastering will trump format. The answer to which sounds better is "depends upon which recording you are considering."
Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
David, you will find that original recording skill and mastering will trump format. The answer to which sounds better is "depends upon which recording you are considering."
Can you list what recording you have considered where you experienced an improvement that wasn't just subtle but dramatic?

What do you think about the Jimmy Page Led Zeppelin reissues? I don't recall if this is your style of music, but thought I would ask anyway.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Happy to be alive!

Hi All! Pretty new here at Aficianado, but a long time (30+ years) musician, music lover and audio gear enthusiast. Love this section on McIntosh gear!

I am the VERY happy owner of a new D150 / MCT450 Combo. I've got a couple weeks breaking in on them now. I've been using Theta Digital, Mark Levinson, Aragon, Oppo gear over the years so have a pretty good feel for what sounds right and my Mac system just blows me away since adding the 150/450. I have a C50 and use the 150 as the "CD" player on a balanced input. It has everything! I think the MCD1100 be awesome, too. I'm not sure how big a change there was in the transport section from the 1100 to the 450, but the case is the same size (I think).

I also have a tricked out Mac Mini (SSD, outboard liner power supply that cost more than the Mac!, minimized processes running, etc.) that I use for Hi-Res formats. I have some DXD, 128 DFF (wish the 150 would take 256) and a lot of straight redbook rips. I use a software player called HQPlayer and upsample everything to 128 DSD through the USB into the 150. It sounds amazing. Google a Norwegian music company called "2L" and go to the Tech page. They have a dozen or so tracks in almost all formats for comparison. They have the DXD, 192/24, 64 DSD, 128, 256, 44.1 and I think even some mp3 versions for a laugh. DXD is, by the way, the master format for almost all Hi-res recordings.

I haven't built my signature yet, but so you know I have a C50 Pre (doesn't do DSD), the 150/450, an Oppo 105D (does 128 DSD, but only 192 PCM), MC402, and Thiel CS6 speakers with all Transparent balanced cabling. I hae now reached a point where I can forget about my equipment and rediscover my whole damn digital disc / file collection! Oh, I also have a VPI Scoutmaster for spinning my 3500 LPs.

I bet the 1100 would be hard to tell from the 450 feeding the 150, but have only heard the 1100 for a brief period at my dealer. Oh, the 450 won't do DVD-A or HDCD.

Happy listening!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Happy to be alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
Can you list what recording you have considered where you experienced an improvement that wasn't just subtle but dramatic?

What do you think about the Jimmy Page Led Zeppelin reissues? I don't recall if this is your style of music, but thought I would ask anyway.
I have all of the Led Zep reissues and IMHO don't think they are that good. Their dynamic range is compressed, too. Get the Japanese SHM CDs if you want the best sound on the early Zep albums I - IV at least. Or the early German CDs if you don't want to cough up the bucks for the SHM CDs.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Rebellious!

Solstice! Welcome!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Happy to be alive!

Thanks Bill! I've been enjoying what I've seen here.