AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Joe, You are a true inspiration to those of us stuck, year after year, with the same old stuff. (I've said many times that I'm happy I've decided that my gear is "good enough" - but I can dream can't I?)

Congratulations on your good taste and on your ability to fulfill your own dreams!

Meanwhile, here I sit . . . . Green with Envy
Thanks Julian, I think. It does seem like I was all over the place, butI kept circling back around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Congrats Joe !
So are you an official Dart dealer now ?

Ha! I wish I was a dealer, I'd have those giant Dartzeel monoblocks Maybe in my next life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
Congrats Joe!

Mike
Thanks Mike! The Dart makes my TADs sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightZeroZeroDelta View Post
Awesome stuff, Joe! Hope it's even better the second time around.
I appreciate the Dart more now
Old 10-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Is there a big difference between the A and B versions?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM

The "B" version has fully balanced inputs and auto dc offset correction. Sonically they are the same.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:59 PM

Joe, some Dart vs Pass thoughts?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
Joe, some Dart vs Pass thoughts?
I could live with either amp, but I prefer the Dartzeel above all the amps I've used.

For the Pass XA100.5:

Easy music delivery. Great midrange and treble, slightly puffy (not as distinct) bass. Reports of it being tube-like are pretty accurate. Does run warm and there's two of them. Pretty wide and deep soundstage. They seem way more powerful than the 100 wpc @ 8 ohms and 200 wpc @ 4 ohms would indicate.

For the Dartzeel NHB-108:

Very natural sound. Superb all-around performer. Smooth across the board. At first, bass seems shy, but in reality it's very well defined and not over-accentuated. Great treble and midrange. Soundstage may ultimately not be as wide or deep with the Pass XP-30. I think that's the preamps fault not the amp. When using the CJ GAT with the Dart 108, all of the great CJ layering and depth came right through. I feel the Dartzeel will easily show the best of what's upstream. This is not a flashy amp but just grows on you (me) with time. 100 wpc @ 8 ohms and 160 wpc @ 4 ohms seems more than enough for me. A superb match on my TAD CR-1's.

As compared the the Burmester 911's, the Burmester amps seem a tiny bit nervous, more ballsy and not as smooth. This is based on MY taste and what I like, others will disagree. I sense a slightly grainer presentation with the 911's. Maybe it's the TADs with the 911's I am not crazy about, but I think more forgiving upstream gear on the 911's would be more to my taste. Again YMMV. Pair different speakers on the 911's and it's a new ballgame. My Dynaudio C1 Sigs, for example, are simply outstanding with the 911's. I am sure any of the Dynaudio or Sonus Faber will be outstanding with the 911's.

At some point I really need to hear the Dartzeel 18NS preamp with the Dartzeel amp hooked up through the 50 Ohm Zeel/BNC connection. That is supposed to bring up the whole system to another level.

Last edited by joeinid; 10-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
I could easily live with either amp, but I prefer the Dartzeel above all the amps I've used.

For the Pass XA100.5:

Easy music delivery. Great midrange and treble, slightly puffy (not as distinct) bass. Reports of it being tube-like are pretty accurate. Does run warm and there's two of them. Pretty wide and deep soundstage. They seem way more powerful than the 100 wpc @ 8 ohms and 200 wpc @ 4 ohms would indicate.

For the Dartzeel NHB-108:

Very natural sound. Superb all-around performer. Smooth across the board. At first, bass seems shy, but in reality it's very well defined and not over-accentuated. Great treble and midrange. Soundstage may ultimately not be as wide or deep with the Pass XP-30. I think that's the preamps fault not the amp. When using the CJ GAT with the Dart 108, all of the great CJ layering and depth came right through. I feel the Dartzeel will easily show the best of what's upstream. This is not a flashy amp but just grows on you (me) with time. 100 wpc @ 8 ohms and 160 wpc @ 4 ohms seems more than enough for me. A superb match on my TAD CR-1's.

As compared the the Burmester 911's, the Burmester amps seem a tiny bit nervous, more ballsy and not as smooth. This is based on MY taste and what I like, others will disagree. I sense a slightly grainer presentation with the 911's. Maybe it's the TADs with the 911's I am not crazy about, but I think more forgiving upstream gear on the 911's would be more to my taste. Again YMMV. Pair different speakers on the 911's and it's a new ballgame. My Dynaudio C1 Sigs, for example, are simply outstanding with the 911's. I am sure any of the Dynaudio or Sonus Faber will be outstanding with the 911's.

At some point I really need to hear the Dartzeel 18NS preamp with the Dartzeel amp hooked up through the 50 Ohm Zeel/BNC connection. That is supposed to bring up the whole system to another level.
Wow thanks Joe for the brief comparison of the three amps . And a very BIG gratz on the re-acquired Dart! At least you're chipping away at, and removing, a few of the many variables in your system. Good luck and happy listening .
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
Wow thanks Joe for the brief comparison of the three amps . And a very BIG gratz on the re-acquired Dart! At least you're chipping away at, and removing, a few of the many variables in your system. Good luck and happy listening .
Your welcome Michael. I am having a ton o' fun and realizing what I like.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 PM

Joe...congrats once again on the Dart amp when is the VAC pre arriving?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Your welcome Michael. I am having a ton o' fun and realizing what I like.
Joe, you may not realize your impact here at AA. If you settle on one particular set-up there are going to be a lot of people here that will need to get their "Joes latest 'fill in the blank'" fix somewhere else. For the love of God man, keep doing what you're doing...

btw... that Dart gear is beautiful!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Joe...congrats once again on the Dart amp when is the VAC pre arriving?
Hi Cyril,

I hope within the next 2 weeks or so. I loved the CJ GAT but feel the VAC Sig IIa will be better, especially with the 911's. If I had been a little sharper, I would have ordered the Dartzeel 18NS for what the Pass and VAC cost. Hopefully the Pass will sell eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Joe, you may not realize your impact here at AA. If you settle on one particular set-up there are going to be a lot of people here that will need to get their "Joes latest 'fill in the blank'" fix somewhere else. For the love of God man, keep doing what you're doing...

btw... that Dart gear is beautiful!
Doug,

You are very kind. I sincerely appreciate your thoughts. Sure I've been a little restless but some of this gear is just so amazing and I have been very lucky to rotate it through my room.