AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Audio Snoopster

Default Ayre KX-R driving Spectral DMA-360's?

Does anyone have any idea if an Ayre KX-R preamp/Spectral DMA-360 Series 1 monoblock amps combo will work?

As far as impedance matching goes, the KX-R's output impedance is 300 ohms balanced, while the DMA 360's input impedance is 10K ohms which is well under the minimum 1:10 ratio of preamp output impedance to power amp input impedance.

From what I gather, Spectral's "Universal" amps do not require Spectral preamps to drive them, neither do they require to be connected by Spectral/MIT IC's, but they do still require Spectral/MIT speaker cables. According to Robert Harley, the Spectral "Universal" amps have restricted/reduced bandwidth relative to their standard (home)/"non-Universal" amps, and are intended for use in recording studios. In contrast, their "non-Universal" amps must be driven by Spectral preamps as well as Spectral/MIT IC's and speaker cables to ensure reliable operation.

That being said, I read that Robert Harley connected a Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC directly to a pair of Spectral DMA-360 monoblock amps along with MIT Oracle MA IC's & speaker cables, and Wilson X-2 Series 2 loudspeakers (The Absolute Sound (15-Mar-2009) - Berkeley Audio Designs Alpha DAC), and experienced no problems at all.

The reason I am inquiring about this combo, is that one of my systems has become "amp-less" recently, and I haven't decided what amps to go for yet. In the meantime, it so happens that a friend of mine has asked me to help him keep his pair of Spectral DMA-360 Series 1 monoblock amps (which I believe are "non-Universal) as well as Spectral/MIT IC's and speaker cables for a couple of months.

Not sure how the combo will sound, but I figured that if it's safe to drive the Spectrals with the Ayre, then it would be a better than nothing while I'm pondering on what amps to go for next.

I would highly appreciate any advice regarding this combo.

Philip
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Default Call the factory!

Philip,

Somehow I doubt that the Ayre would be compatible with the 360's which are not among Spectral's universal amps.

I think you would probably be well served to e-mail or call Marc Ellner at the Spectral factory in Sunnyvale, California (phone - 408.738.8521 Fax: 408.738.8524). The factory is on Pacific daylight savings time (Coordinated Universal Time -7 hours.) and I have found Marc to be very helpful and informative.

I use Spectral electronics and have never been so satisfied with anything else.

Julian

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Philip,

Somehow I doubt that the Ayre would be compatible with the 360's which are not among Spectral's universal amps.

I think you would probably be well served to e-mail or call Marc Ellner at the Spectral factory in Sunnyvale, California (phone - 408.738.8521 Fax: 408.738.8524). The factory is on Pacific daylight savings time (Coordinated Universal Time -7 hours.) and I have found Marc to be very helpful and informative.

Julian

Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Philip,

Julian
Julian,

Thanks for your thoughts as well as your suggestion.

Indeed, Spectral makes great top-notch gear!

Actually, I did think of giving Spectral a call, but knowing that they have always advocated (actually insisted) that, other than speakers, everything else in the system better be Spectral or MIT, I kind of figured that it might be a rather futile phone call.

That being said, given your recommendation of Marc Ellner, who has been very helpful & informative in the past, I think I will certainly try to get in touch with him.

Once again, many thanks for your advice.

Philip