AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Dan - Thanks. Interesting that you still have a Crown amp.

I really enjoyed owning Crown. It was extremely well made and some of the heaviest amps around at the time. I often wonder where they would be if they had charted a different course. At the time, it produced great sound and the only other brand that interested me was McIntosh. Unfortunately, no dealer in my area carried it. So, Crown was the only choice if high-end was your goal.

Terry
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Remembering Vintage Pete

Well!
This has been a very informative experience for me, as I see all you gentlemen sharing your Crown experiences.
I'm also very glad to see you dong things on the systems Pete! Thanks for sharing it all.
You would think by now they could send you that UPS girl though!

Old 09-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Pete,

Thanks for sharing the story and posting those wonderful photos. I am glad you are happy. I have fond memories of a Crown Studio Reference amp that I owned many years ago. It was a great performer.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post

I really enjoyed owning Crown. It was extremely well made and some of the heaviest amps around at the time. I often wonder where they would be if they had charted a different course. At the time, it produced great sound and the only other brand that interested me was McIntosh. Unfortunately, no dealer in my area carried it. So, Crown was the only choice if high-end was your goal.

Terry
Terry.....I too wonder where Crown would be today had they continued to produce that beautiful home gear, and indeed wish they get back to it. The D-75A works well with my home systems, is class AB+B but is only moderately powered. Most if not all of the rest of their amps today are the lightweight Class D variety. That's not to say they aren't fine performers, but their cosmetics are also not what they once were in terms of being drop-dead gorgeous.

Your story of the Doobie Brothers concert put a smile on my face...ah yes, those were the days!

I grew up in the Binghamton area and so, obviously McIntosh was also on my radar. I briefly owned an MR77 tuner but couldn't afford it...that's another story. After that I landed an original IC150 preamp and an original DC-300 amp. When the IC-150A came out I just had to have one, and managed to muster up the cash to buy one. But the DC-300A was over my young head, and never did get around to procuring one until this year. It was well worth the wait...I love it. Listening to it right now.

Pete

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 09-16-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:58 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Pete,

It's a pleasure to read your audio journey with Crown. I had been looking and lusting for Crown for months when I first saw the amps at the concert. Seeing those amps in a large coliseum setting producing that level of sound just put me over the top. One of the stereo magazines at the time had a DC300A review - it may have been Stereo Review - and I carried it around everywhere for weeks reading the specs over and over and looking at the pictures!

I really wanted the DC300A but there was no way, so I purchased a single DC150A and added the second DC150A a few weeks later so I could run them in mono. Once I had both amps, I went without food for a few more weeks to save enough for the Crown "cabinets" to complete the setup. Man, that system was some seriously good looking audio gear!

It's too bad they let the gorgeous designs slip away. I'm sure they are still producing fine gear, but the "Wow" factor they once enjoyed is just not the same.

Terry
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 AM

Very cool Pete!

Mike
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:

Terry.......Just like Pete, I lusted for Crown back in the day when I was young and couldn't afford it, and the good stuff was still too new at the time to find anything at a decent price pre-owned.

Yes, I still have the Crown K1 two channel amp in use in my studio. Here is a photo of it in the rack in the right, mounted at the bottom. The K1 is powerful, 350 watts into 8 ohms, 550 watts into 4 ohms, 750 watts into 2 ohms (per channel, stereo mode); 1,100 watts into 8 ohms, 1,500 watts into 4 ohms (bridge-mono mode).

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-16-2012, 11:13 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Dan - That's a great looking setup. I'm sure you spend many pleasurable hours sitting in that room.

I was the audio and video guy at a large church for many years and we had a few Crown pieces in our racks. I can't recall a single Crown failure. I can't say the same for some of the other "pro" brands.

Thanks for sharing the photo. You have a beautiful studio!

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Terry.......Just like Pete, I lusted for Crown back in the day when I was young and couldn't afford it, and the good stuff was still too new at the time to find anything at a decent price pre-owned.

Yes, I still have the Crown K1 two channel amp in use in my studio. Here is a photo of it in the rack in the right, mounted at the bottom. The K1 is powerful, 350 watts into 8 ohms, 550 watts into 4 ohms, 750 watts into 2 ohms (per channel, stereo mode); 1,100 watts into 8 ohms, 1,500 watts into 4 ohms (bridge-mono mode).

Old 09-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Pete,

It's a pleasure to read your audio journey with Crown. I had been looking and lusting for Crown for months when I first saw the amps at the concert. Seeing those amps in a large coliseum setting producing that level of sound just put me over the top. One of the stereo magazines at the time had a DC300A review - it may have been Stereo Review - and I carried it around everywhere for weeks reading the specs over and over and looking at the pictures!

I really wanted the DC300A but there was no way, so I purchased a single DC150A and added the second DC150A a few weeks later so I could run them in mono. Once I had both amps, I went without food for a few more weeks to save enough for the Crown "cabinets" to complete the setup. Man, that system was some seriously good looking audio gear!

It's too bad they let the gorgeous designs slip away. I'm sure they are still producing fine gear, but the "Wow" factor they once enjoyed is just not the same.

Terry

Terry....it sounds like you had the fever bad!! I was very much that way too. I was reading the brochures and reviews continuously, and I was in heaven the day I actually landed an original IC150 preamp and DC300 amp.

Attached is an early review of the original DC300 amp, as well as a brochure. The DC300 was a really groundbreaking design at that time. What followed later, starting around 1976 was the era of the really beautiful designs from Crown...at that point they started revamping the cosmetics of their products, and it was also at that time that the revamped IC-150A preamp was introduced.

I'm actually considering writing to Crown and expressing my dismay that they let go of these beautiful designs. I think we need to rattle some cages in Elkhart. How else will they know?

Pete
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crown DC300 review March 1969.pdf (1.45 MB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf Crown_DC-300_brochure.pdf (3.03 MB, 1 views)

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

Old 09-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Remembering Dan

Default 1976 Brochure

One day in 1976, in my mailbox I found a new catalog from Crown-I was always requesting information through the magazines using the reader service cards. My eyes opened really wide when I opened the brochure and saw the new IC-150A preamp, as well as the revamped cosmetics of the DC-300A. Also appearing was the new version of Crown's output control center, the OC-150A.

I couldn't sleep until I bought myself an IC-150A preamp. Someone mentioned the reliability of these products....I bought my IC-150A in 1977, and in 35 years of nearly continuous service, it has had one repair incident....and that was simply some leaking caps in the power supply that needed replacement.

Attached is the brochure that gave me a really heightened Crown fever.

Pete
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1976 Crown Catalog.pdf (3.54 MB, 4 views)

No. 35