AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Wow! 300 watts tube is not enough? Should I just look at the 601s or 1.2k's and add the c500 for tube warmth? Man, I really want those 2301's! Help 2301 owners....enough power?
I never said 300 watts was not enough, I think the tube amp may not be a good match for the Salon 2's. I would consider the C500T and a big solid state amp like the MC452, MC601's, or MC1.2KW's. One member here jeffkad uses an MC452 with his Revel Salon 2 speakers and loves the combo.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Sensitivity in the 86db range is a bit low for MC2301's IMO. Go SS my friend & go big.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:32 PM

Default Mc 2301 have been ordered

OK, well, I went against the grain and ordered the 2301's. I talked to the folks at McIntosh before buying and they assured me the 2301 "big tube amps" could easily drive the Salon 2's and then proceeded to list a dozen or so even more inefficient speakers they have driven with them.

The only comment that was made was to ensure I dealt with any abnormal room ecoustics.

I got the distinct impression (although this was never directly said), but the asinuation was that these were the best amps McIntosh has ever made.

I've taken the big Mac plunge. I hope it will be worth it!

NOW - what preamp? C500, c2300, c1000 or something else????!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird
OK, well, I went against the grain and ordered the 2301's. I talked to the folks at McIntosh before buying and they assured me the 2301 "big tube amps" could easily drive the Salon 2's and then proceeded to list a dozen or so even more inefficient speakers they have driven with them.

The only comment that was made was to ensure I dealt with any abnormal room ecoustics.

I got the distinct impression (although this was never directly said), but the asinuation was that these were the best amps McIntosh has ever made.

I've taken the big Mac plunge. I hope it will be worth it!

NOW - what preamp? C500, c2300, c1000 or something else????!
Big Congrats !

I agree that the 2301's are the best Mcs of all times but I never heard the MC2K !
Of course they can drive ANY speaker.
Buy a C1000P. Best Mc preamp ever.
I have been extremely happy with this combo for 2.5 years. And Dan seems happy with the same .

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 07-19-2012, 12:49 AM

Thanks. I'm a bit nervous that I didn't listen to everyone....but I've never been good at that!

I'm between the 1000 and 500. The folks at Mac told me there is no audible difference. What is the consensus of the tube vs SS in either of these preamps?

The Mac journey begins...after the preamp, comes the mcd1100 then the 151. Onwards and upwards.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 AM

I've had a severe debilitating case of upgraditis disease for the past 40 years. I have recently received a miraculous cure with acquisition of a full Macintosh system. Tube or solid state, you will not regret your choice! One caveat, if analog is important to you, investigate separate phono preamps. Enjoy!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 AM

Default Thanks...but....

Here is my dilemma - I can pick up a C500 (tube) and Controller for $8K - new. Is the C1000 worth $5-6K more (for all 3 pieces) - used on AGON?

What about pairing the 2301's with a Cary SLP-05?

My gut feeling is to get the new C500's (tube) and use the difference to pick up a 207 (for my surround sound speakers). Next...the 151 SSP and MCD1100... Oh the joy!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird
Here is my dilemma - I can pick up a C500 (tube) and Controller for $8K - new. Is the C1000 worth $5-6K more (for all 3 pieces) - used on AGON?

What about pairing the 2301's with a Cary SLP-05?

My gut feeling is to get the new C500's (tube) and use the difference to pick up a 207 (for my surround sound speakers). Next...the 151 SSP and MCD1100... Oh the joy!
You've made a great choice with the Mc2301s, so it would be wise to continue with a McIntosh pre-amp. The C1000C/T is an awesome combination especially with these amps. Together, with the right tube combinations, power & interconnects, they can do anything. 2ch, multi-ch, HT passthru, classical to death metal. Even cable TV will never be the same for you, should you build a hybrid system.

The Mc2301 & C1000/T combination will draw you in so much that you will lose yourself with listening pleasure. Be warned...They have the potential to alter your conscious state & rob you of many hours of your life.

You do not have to have all 3 pieces. Choose either tube of solid state to begin with. That is the beauty. You can also join the select remote control club.

I will never part with the C1000C/T.

Last edited by MyPal; 07-19-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal

You've made a great choice with the Mc2301s, so it would be wise to continue with a McIntosh pre-amp. The C1000C/T is an awesome combination especially with these amps. Together, with the right tube combinations, power & interconnects, they can do anything. 2ch, multi-ch, HT passthru, classical to death metal. Even cable TV will never be the same for you, should you build a hybrid system.

The Mc2301 & C1000/T combination will draw you in so much that you will lose yourself with listening pleasure. Be warned...They have the potential to alter your conscious state & rob you of many hours of your life.

You do not have to have all 3 pieces. Choose either tube of solid state to begin with. That is the beauty. You can also join the select remote control club.

I will never part with the C1000C/T.
In our hobby, never say never

Frank

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 PM

Default Help me decide - please!

Here are my options:

1. C500 c/t for $8000 - new
2. C1000 c/t for $10,000 - used less than 100 hours
3. C1000 c/t/p (all three pieces) - $14,000 - used, unsure of hours

Whatever I don't buy, will leave me with money for a 207, 151 or mcd1100.

Thanks!!!