AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 AM

Default Tube Amp/Preamp recommendations

I am in the process of putting together an excellent tube setup. My budget is in the "up to $15k range".

My speakers are Revel Salon 2 (86.4 db efficiency). Subs (2) are Seaton Submersives. Sources are oppo-95, Rega RP3 TT w/Ortofon Black, Mac mini server running amarra. I also own a musical fidelity Phono stage (M1 Vinyl).

My current amps are Emotiva XPA-1 and my preamp is the Classe CP-800 (which I just brought and it sounds wonderful, but I want to go with tubes).

I'm looking to really warm up the sound, add some bass punch and soften the highs a tiny bit. The Revels can sound a bit "clinical"/neutral.

I've had some thoughts around a setup of Bat vk150se's + CJ premier LS16 or LS17 + Eastman DAC. I also like the look of the Mac C2300, Lamm 2.1, Audio Research LS27 or Cary SLP-05. From an amp perspective, I'm a bit lost. The new carver tube amps? Something like a VTL 450-mb? Something from Rogue audio?

At this point, my head is spinning. I don't have the luxury to "go listen" since any respectable dealers are over 4 hours away. I am completely open to suggestions. New or used - I'm open. I would love to find a tube preamp that has a HT bypass. I am using my Onkyo 5508 as my SSP (but I only spend 5% of my time watch movies). I'm definitely a two channel stereo guy.

Thanks!

Last edited by mbovaird; 07-16-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Correction to add need HT bypass
Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM
From the BAT cave ...

mbovaird,

I doubt you will find a tube preamp with HT bypass that allows you to bypass with the tubes unpowered. I have what I think is the typical confguration for tube preamps: it allows one input to be set for "unity gain," which allows the surround processor to control the volume for the two mains. BUT, the tubes are burning throughout use. Considering the improvement in sound, that is a good thing, but it does add cost.

Of course, the BAT uses 6H30 tubes rated at 10,000 hours.

Just picking great pieces of gear will not achieve system synergy. Your Salon's impedance curve will matter as much as the efficiency rating - i.e., you may need a high current solid state amp to control them. A tube preamp with a solid state amp is the same solution I went with, but that still requires the preamp and amp to mate well - again, impedance ratings.

One sidenote, and all other issues aside, BAT sounds best running balanced and CJ is single ended. Using an adaptor works, but does not let the BAT gear shine.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 AM

Default Maybe the Cary SLP-05?

I thought the Cary SLP-05 HT bypass worked in off mode???
Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 PM

My vote would go to an all CJ setup. The LS16 and LS17 are a good starting point. You can also check out the newer ET3SE. As for power amplification a CJ LP70s is a great power amp and not too expensive on the used market.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
My vote would go to an all CJ setup. The LS16 and LS17 are a good starting point. You can also check out the newer ET3SE. As for power amplification a CJ LP70s is a great power amp and not too expensive on the used market.
I don't think the LP70 can come close to driving the Salon 2s I agree with Randy's comments, for the Salon 2s, a tube preamp with a high current SS amp is the way to go.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
I thought the Cary SLP-05 HT bypass worked in off mode???
Looks like you are right. This from Home Theater Review:

Home theater owners and environmentalists alike will appreciate the Cinema bypass feature, which is automatically engaged when the unit is powered off.

Now that is a cool feature. And an unusual one.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 PM

I'd take look at the Aesthetix Calypso/Atlas combo.

The hybrid Atlas is a better match to your Revel Salon 2s, than a tube amp.

Stereophile rates both of them Class A.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Default Mc2301

Although almost double my budget, the Mac 2300/2301 is VERY enticing. How does this combo sound? Mayybe the new Carver Black beauty amps perhaps? Maybe a used ARC Ref 250? I'm fighting the SS amp suggestion. If I went that route, I may as well get the Classe CA-M600's to go with my Classe CP-800, throw in a tube DAC like the Eastern and use the rest of the money to swap my Onkyo 5508 SSP for the Classe SSP-800......but man that tube sound is addictive! So addictive. The mids are surreal.

I honestly will always wonder "what if" if in don't go the tube route.

Maybe I should do it in stages. Start with a tube preamp and/or tube DAC and assess. If I do this - then what is the best preamp? Mac 2300? CJ - if so what model? Cary SLP-05? Something else? Is the Eastman a great tube DAC? Other suggestions?

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas! Keep them coming! I greatly appreciate it!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahG View Post
I'd take look at the Aesthetix Calypso/Atlas combo.

The hybrid Atlas is a better match to your Revel Salon 2s, than a tube amp.

Stereophile rates both of them Class A.
Been reading on this combo! Nice! Thanks - would never have found these on my own!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 PM

mbovaird...I think this is a great option as is the BAT combo that Randy owns that I think would give you everything you are looking for. Not sure where you live, but if you happen to live in Northern California, I would give Jeff Whitlock (A/V Solutions on AA) a call, as he has a full suite of Aesthetix components that he carries and I am sure you can set up an appointment to audition. You can click on the A/V Solutions banner below to see the Aesthetix gear he has to audition. Good luck.