AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 04-24-2022, 04:35 AM

Default Yvette or Sasha DAW for midsized room and rock music

Hey,
so I`ve ended my long search for new speakers to make a step up from my current setup - these will be my first Wilson Audios (coming from 15 years B&W - currently 802 Diamonds D2). I am really torn between the Yvette and the Sasha DAW (Sabrina X is not an option).

Room is 12 by 21 feet (and treated with bass traps, diffusion panels and absorbers). Amps McIntosh C52 and Mc452.

Listening is mainly rock orientated - actually even more alternative from Ska, Psychobilly, Rockabilly, Punk, Oi!, and some Folk and Country. I am NOT an audiophile listener in a sense that I pick my music by terms of quality recordings - obviously I love a great recording - but I come from subcultural scenes and put music and scene first - way before SQ and search for audiophile recordings. So I would suppose 80% of my records are produced well enough but certainly not audiophile.

The rythm section as well as bass slam and imaging will be very important as well as a natural and rich sound (really need the double/upright slap bass to stand in the room and vocals to be organic) - I don`t think that I need the speakers to dig way below 35 hz though - as I don`t have a lot of music that goes that deep (what would that be anyways? - an organ or such?).

I am certain both will be a huge leap up from my 802 Diamonds - I can get an amazing deal on Yvettes (and I love their looks) - could make the stretch to the Sasha DAW if necessary though - just wondering if they will make so big a difference considering musical taste and room size.

Can`t hear them side by side and especially not both in my room - any thoughts?

Last edited by bruno2009; 04-24-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:01 AM

Christoph - I would opt for the amazing deal on the Yvettes. For one thing you'll have it immediately (I presume) and not have to wait for Sasha DAW production. Plus you'll not be spending as much money, which you could possibly use to upgrade other parts of your rig.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:41 AM

Hi - thanks for answering - great to hear some opinions :-)
Old 04-24-2022, 04:01 PM

Christoph - If you are able, parley some of the savings in the good deal on the Yvettes in a set of Wilson Acoustic Diodes intended for the speakers. The upgrade with the AD's is significant and enhances the bass response and imaging. These will get you closer to DAW's with a (comparably) modest expenditure.

Have fun!

Bob
__________________________________________________ _____________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:18 PM

Hi - thanks again for your comment, Bob. Really helps hearing other peoples impression/experience/opinion. Certainly will add the Diodes if I end with the Yvettes - they seem a great speaker and look stunning. Also certain both will be a significant upgrade to my B&Ws. I just keep wondering if the Yvette will leave me wanting more and moving to the DAW within a year or two (in that case I would rather go DAW right away) or will they be satisfying for many years… 🤷

Last edited by bruno2009; 04-24-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post
Hi - thanks again for your comment, Bob. Really helps hearing other peoples impression/experience/opinion. Certainly will add the Diodes if I end with the Yvettes - they seem a great speaker and look stunning. Also certain both will be a significant upgrade to my B&Ws. I just keep wondering if the Yvette will leave me wanting more and moving to the DAW within a year or two (in that case I would rather go DAW right away) or will they be satisfying for many years… ��
The benefit vs. cost trade off is something only you can decide. Personally, although I recognize that the DAW's are better, I have avoided the itch to trade up, particularly with the AD upgrade. In my case, the Yvettes (in Ipanema Brown) make an excellent visual/physical fit in my room.

Happy listening.

Bob
__________________________________________________ ______
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:47 PM

Bob, true. But I like to get opinions and after all, thats one of the reasons why we visit these online platforms - to exchange experience.

I have asked many and done my stretch of listening - and while the press is hyping the DAW, almost everyone has been voting towards the Yvette. Nobody seriously doubts the DAW is the better speaker - but the difference seems to be not as huge as made believe and very many prefer the Yvette for one reason or another. I was (or am) actually willing to make the stretch to the DAW but for one I love the looks of the Yvette and my listening experience (although not side by side) says, that they are actually pretty close.

It`s hard to really make a final decision based on separate listening experiences for an hour or two though.

I do know that both have a wonderful and musical sound - so basically nothing can go wrong either way, I suppose :-)
Old 04-25-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post
Hi - thanks again for your comment, Bob. Really helps hearing other peoples impression/experience/opinion. Certainly will add the Diodes if I end with the Yvettes - they seem a great speaker and look stunning. Also certain both will be a significant upgrade to my B&Ws. I just keep wondering if the Yvette will leave me wanting more and moving to the DAW within a year or two (in that case I would rather go DAW right away) or will they be satisfying for many years… 🤷
This is classic audiophile behavior--hear something wonderful, the best you've ever heard...and are THEREFORE convinced you need even more of the same. Buy the DAWS!!!
Old 04-25-2022, 03:43 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

The DAWs are amazing.

So much detail!

I love my pair. Since I’ve been going crazy building up my primary rig (with sf Aidas) I have considered letting my “like new” DAWs go (which are rarely seen on the used market).

Whatever you do, don’t settle.

Just get the speakers you want the first time and don’t settle.

It’s nice to not have to second guess yourself.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 04-25-2022, 04:50 PM

… yeah - but I find the detail the least important, musicality, tonal balance, no harshness, rythm and slam in the lower and upper bass, dynamics and imaging… thats whats important if you ask me… I can easily do with less detail, especially when the tweeter is too dominant… its the other things I ˋm looking for… all of which I find in both, the Yvette and the DAW…

Last edited by bruno2009; 04-25-2022 at 04:54 PM.