Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 03-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Dvorak - Violin Concerto in A Minor, OP.53
Tchaikovsky - Trois Souvenirs D'UN Lieu Cher

Violinist: Herman Krebbers
Conducted: Anton Kersjes
Amsterdam Philharmonic

Fantastic recording, and technically brilliant playing by Herman Krebbers.

Dvorak- Violin Concerto.jpg
Old 03-15-2017, 03:03 PM

Default Handel: Concerto grosso Op. 6 No. 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
More new music from Presto Classical...

Handel: Concerti grossi Op. 6 Nos. 1-12 HWV319-330
Combattimento Consort Amsterdam, Jan Willem de Vriend

This SACD was recommended here and I took advantage of the Presto sale to check it out and compare it to the superb Avison Ensemble release on Linn.

The big difference between the two sets is that the Combattimento adds chitarrone (a sort of lute with extended neck), oboes and bassoon to the ensemble while Avison only uses strings (plus the harpsichord/organ continuo which both versions have) to play this music.

The use of additional wind instruments by the Combattimento adds bite to certain passages which I appreciate, but to me the Avision version is more elegant and supple. For example, check out the Largo, e piano movement for concerto #4. The Avision plays this music in a most satisfying way with a prominent harpsichord that just seems to magically hang on top of the music. The Combattimento version seems hurried and does not linger to savor this excellent movement.

This does not mean that the Avision plays at a slower tempo. They don't. Overall timings are fairly similar for both ensembles.

The other big advantage for the Avision is that this Linn recording of their performance is absolutely stunning (much better than the Linn Avison Correlli series recordings). The Channel recording of the Combattimento performance is good, but is no match to the Linn.

Another small difference is that Avison recording for all 12 concerti was completed in 5 consecutive days while the Combattimento recording was done in two sessions 8 months apart with a few different musicians.

Bottom line: the Combattimento version is a worthy addition to the library particularly because of their use of additional instruments to complement the strings, but The Avison Ensemble Linn set remains my top choice for the Handel Op.6 and is one of the very best discs, musically and sonically, in my entire collection.
Concerto No. 5 is given a vigorous performance here
Old 03-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Retired

Puccini's "Turandot", featuring Pavarotti, Sutherland and Mehta leading the London Philharmonic.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-16-2017, 01:58 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Julian, I'd looove to go through your giant LP collection to play 20 more versions of Dvorák's 9th!!
You'll need a turntable for that.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Guitarist Kazuhito Yamashita plays two insanely difficult concertos written for him by Takashi Yamatsu and Teruyuki Noda.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
You'll need a turntable for that.

Julian has plenty!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-16-2017, 05:12 PM
Life is beautiful

Bach - Cello Suites
Pierre Fournier, violoncello

I'm really getting used to the violoncello da spalla, because this sounds a bit too slow and deep for me now.
It is still a reference recording of course, and I do like it.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-16-2017, 11:07 PM
Go Dawgs

Mint condition RCA shaded dog LP found at thrift store for $2.00. Sweet.
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 03-16-2017, 11:13 PM

Default Mahler: Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'

Played this SACD again today. It's superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Good evening, friends. I just heard...

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 in C minor 'Resurrection'
Latonia Moore (soprano), Nadja Michael (mezzo-soprano)
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Vienna Singverein, Gilbert Kaplan

...a new addition to my collection of Mahler's "Resurrection." This version is from the finance-guy turned conductor Gilbert Kaplan. Some say he is one of today’s most authoritative and acclaimed interpreters of Mahler’s Symphony No. 2, having conducted the work at the invitation of more than 65 orchestras. With this release he reached the pinnacle by conducting the incomparable Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and having the performance recorded by Deutsche Grammophon, the most prestigious label in classical music. In this sense he's peers with von Karajan, Bernstein, Abbado, Kubelik, Bohm, etc - pretty impressive company.

I've heard a few 'Resurrections' and this version is impressive and can take its place among the best. For one thing, the DG SACD recording is really good featuring transparency and robustness for the benefit of the cello/bass heavy 1st movement. The climaxes are thrilling (Ivan Fischer still sets the standard here though) and the finale builds to rapturous end. My only quibble is that the tempos could have a been a little faster in places. Way to go, Mr. Kaplan.

Last edited by cma29; 03-16-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:24 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Apparently, the last time I listened to this two disc set of wonderful music was in 2012. Listened this morning and it was SO GOOD that I feel compelled to break my A.A. silence and bring it to your attention.

This recording is wonderful. Now on disc 2 and I may play the whole thing over (and over) again when it finishes.

Buy it, stream it, download it - you will not regret it (if you like the very best in baroque music)

In case you can't tell - I love it.

Wonderful music, extremely good recording, excellent sound quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Listening (again) to . . . Evaristo Felice Dall' Abaco
Concerti a piü Istrumenti
Opera Sesta

Il Tempio Armonica
Orchestra Barocca de Verona - Alberto Rasi, Conductor

Many thanks to Todd, this is one of the nicest Baroque instrumental recordings I own. A two disc CD set, music by a composer I'd never heard of until mentioned in this thread - and I'm hooked on his music. Beautiful!

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .