AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 08-02-2021, 01:41 PM
Life is beautiful

Beethoven - Klaviersonaten
Friedrich Gulda
via Qobuz

I owned these piano sonatas already on CD.
The last days I streamed them into the practice.
He remains a wonderful Beethoven performer.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-02-2021, 04:12 PM
Life is beautiful

Maya Fridman
Marion von Tilzer
- Ten Songs Of Change
trptk
Qobuz 24/88.2

Maya Fridman, a usual suspect at trptk, plays the cello, but she also sings in the last track, and it's impressive.
Marion von Tilzer, composer, plays the piano.
Lulu Wang reads some poetry, in the most beautiful sounding Chinese.

Lulu Wang selected poetry from the Tang and Song Dynasty which are considered the golden age of Chinese arts and culture. Each of the poems reflects the feeling of the trigrams and the related musical piece. By weaving the poetry into the music, the album becomes a tapestry of experiences and moods reflecting upon the eight trigrams.

This album is a very profound experience.
Absolutely beautiful, which cannot be said of all trptk's latest efforts.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-05-2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Beethoven - Klaviersonaten

Friedrich Gulda

via Qobuz

I owned these piano sonatas already on CD.

The last days I streamed them into the practice.

He remains a wonderful Beethoven performer.

This is indeed a wonderful set.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-05-2021, 12:36 AM

Rachmaninov: The Piano Concertos; Paganini Rhapsody
Stephen Hough, piano
Dallas Symphony, Andrew Litton conducting
Hyperion (2004), 16/44 files

Reviewer David Hurwitz declared this set “the best set of Rachmaninov Piano Concertos ever recorded.” I haven’t heard them all myself, but certainly Hough and Litton are brilliant. The sound is quite good as well, although Hurwitz warns against the multi-channel release, which he says, “…places the listener in a somewhat distant balcony seat… There’s plenty of room acoustic, but this has the result of creating an excess of reverberation that lessens the impact of the orchestra, and more significantly, makes Hough’s contributions sound small-scale and lacking in the coloristic variety that comes across so vividly in regular stereo.”

IMG_3893.jpg
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-05-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
The sound is quite good as well, although Hurwitz warns against the multi-channel release, which he says, “…places the listener in a somewhat distant balcony seat… There’s plenty of room acoustic, but this has the result of creating an excess of reverberation that lessens the impact of the orchestra, and more significantly, makes Hough’s contributions sound small-scale and lacking in the coloristic variety that comes across so vividly in regular stereo.”
No sure I'd agree with that entirely. There is some discrepancy between piano and orchestra but the piano fills the space between my FL and FR speakers and the orchestra spreads out wider. I do not hear any excessive reverberation and the orchestra is quite present. Lots of hall sound, though, but a good system should (and does) handle that appropriately.

My only concert is an overall tonal warmth and haziness but one adapts to that easily. I love the set but it ain't of demo quality

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 08-05-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
No sure I'd agree with that entirely. There is some discrepancy between piano and orchestra but the piano fills the space between my FL and FR speakers and the orchestra spreads out wider. I do not hear any excessive reverberation and the orchestra is quite present. Lots of hall sound, though, but a good system should (and does) handle that appropriately.

My only concert is an overall tonal warmth and haziness but one adapts to that easily. I love the set but it ain't of demo quality

I don’t listen in multichannel, but I’d agree re the stereo sound overall. I found it quite good - it may not be demo quality sound, but I think the performance makes up for that.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:20 PM
Retired

Decided to try a different "Sheherazade". Been enjoying my 1963 VOX pressing by Jonel Perlea and the Bamberg Symphony for many (over 50) years. Unfortunately, could not find this highly rated rendition on vinyl. But, will be able to que-up the LP and do nearly direct comparisons as time warrants. First listen, is very nicely done, both performance and recording sonics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Sheherazade.jpeg (254.5 KB, 34 views)
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-05-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Decided to try a different "Sheherazade". Been enjoying my 1963 VOX pressing by Jonel Perlea and the Bamberg Symphony for many (over 50) years. Unfortunately, could not find this highly rated rendition on vinyl. But, will be able to que-up the LP and do nearly direct comparisons as time warrants. First listen, is very nicely done, both performance and recording sonics.

I can see my name in the background but I cannot read any more of it. However, I have been on record with my personal dislike of the Gergiev Scheherazade. ??
Old 08-05-2021, 10:55 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I can see my name in the background but I cannot read any more of it. However, I have been on record with my personal dislike of the Gergiev Scheherazade. ??
Kal - Purely happenstance. You were simply the most recent person to post in the forum. Was not aware of your feelings towards same.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-06-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Kal - Purely happenstance. You were simply the most recent person to post in the forum. Was not aware of your feelings towards same.
Funny happenstance.