AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 07-30-2020, 07:45 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Thanks Stephen, good tip re the EVP, I’ll look for them.
Hey Tony,
You can get them here: http://avroomservice.com/evp-2/

Norm is one of the most knowledgeable people in the industry about acoustics, audio rooms, and vibration management.

Norm is really nice guy, too. Has a very good YouTube channel about all things acoustics, audio, and the like: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6n...q4-zj0Q/videos
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:46 PM

Those EVP looks very nice, much nicer than my blue Diversitech for sure. I tolerated the Diversitech because of their low price but I will seriously consider the EVP to further improve performance and aestetics. Either way, I would still prefer a base like Auralex or Symposium because of their convenience to setup. When using 4 small 2" X 2", I always have to readjust everything on each footer when I do some cleaning. Price is 45$ each so 180$ for four. A Symposium Segue 19" X 14" platform is 200$. I just don't know which one would be better. I would not mind sacrificing a little performance for the easier setup and also I find a single platform looks nicer but this is just me.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:30 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
When using 4 small 2" X 2", I always have to readjust everything on each footer when I do some cleaning. Price is 45$ each so 180$ for four. A Symposium Segue 19" X 14" platform is 200$. I just don't know which one would be better.
That's easy. "Rent in" the Symposium Segue, and order four of the EVPs, and try both out. You have a 30-day return for refund policy on the EVPs, no questions asked.

I did a demo of the EVPs under my DAC for an audio buddy and he thought it was close to a component-level upgrade.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:10 PM

Default Update

Yesterday, I added my new Denali V2 with a Sigma XC to my system. It took 4 weeks from the time I placed my order to receive it. First impression is that the bass slam that I felt was missing is now present! The noise in the high frequencies hasn’t been reduced and, at times, there are odd modulations (dips and exaggerated peaks) being output. I expect this is the power distributor and PC going through their break-in periods. Occasionally, there are amazing but short moments of speakers disappearing and a feeling of “being there” as others have stated.

I again want to thank you for providing your reviews and comments regarding Shunyata Research’s products, otherwise, I would have ended up with either a Synergistic Research or PS Audio power distributor/regenerator.

Dave
Oppo DV-970HD, MacBook Pro (late 2016), Synergistic Research Atmosphere X USB cable, TEAC NT-505 with Atmosphere Alive Level 1 power cable, Tranquility POD, TEAC CG-10M, Alive Level 1 XLR with SR connectors, Parasound Halo A21+ with Foundation HC power cable, Foundation IRT bi-wire speaker cables, Revel PerformaBe F228Be, Shunyata Research Denali 6000/S v2 with Sigma v2 XC power cable

Last edited by DaveM; 08-07-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:45 AM

thanks Puma Cat for the EVP recommendation. I have ordered 13 HD 2inch and Norman surely was a pleasure to deal with.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Congrats, Dave. You'll find your Denali v2 will get better and better over the next 7-10 days as it settles. Just be mindful not to place it on a carpet. I've found placing it on a maple board with either cork and rubber anti-vibration pads or hard wooden blocks worked really well.

As for the new Shunyata NR v2 PCs...they are amazing and work superbly in conjunction with Denali.

And...give the new Shunyata NR v2's a try some time to compare to your current PCs. The new series of Reference PCs (Sigma, Alpha and Delta NR v2 and XC) are a breakthrough in performance. You can rent them in for 10 days or so, that will give enough time for them to settle and allow you to do meaningful comparisons. The new Shunyata NR v2 series of PCs work in conjunction with the Denali exceptionally.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
thanks Puma Cat for the EVP recommendation. I have ordered 13 HD 2inch and Norman surely was a pleasure to deal with.
You're welcome, Mr Gray.

The EVPs are superbly designed and really do what they are engineered to do.

In fact, I need to order some more of those myself.

As for Norm Varney, he's one of the most knowledgeable and experienced engineers with respect to acoustics and vibration management I know of. The real deal.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Congrats, Dave. You'll find your Denali v2 will get better and better over the next 7-10 days as it settles. Just be mindful not to place it on a carpet. I've found placing it on a maple board with either cork and rubber anti-vibration pads or hard wooden blocks worked really well.

As for the new Shunyata NR v2 PCs...they are amazing and work superbly in conjunction with Denali.

And...give the new Shunyata NR v2's a try some time to compare to your current PCs. The new series of Reference PCs (Sigma, Alpha and Delta NR v2 and XC) are a breakthrough in performance. You can rent them in for 10 days or so, that will give enough time for them to settle and allow you to do meaningful comparisons. The new Shunyata NR v2 series of PCs work in conjunction with the Denali exceptionally.
Thanks Puma Cat (Stephen?)! Overall, it was your positive advice that led me to this highly appreciated addition. I wasn’t overly impressed with my F228Be speakers, surprised, given all of the hype they have received. I actually considered selling them. After making the Shunyata Research addition, I am very happy!

I voiced these impressions on the Revel Owners Thread on the avsforum and was accused of spam and not staying on topic. They then revoked my permissions for posting on that thread! Amazing how closed minded many of that site’s members are and how the administrators have no problem censoring opinions that differ from the majority and mostly ignorant members. I don’t think they can handle the truth that their beloved Revels can be significantly improved by use of a top quality power distributor and cable. Their loss.

The Shunyata Research Denali is sitting proudly on the center shelf of my wooden rack! I have no carpeting in my home other than a few area rugs.

Thanks to Ivan for providing a great site. I plan to buy a line preamplifier and phono amplifier next year at which time I will subscribe to this site.

Last edited by DaveM; 08-16-2020 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-16-2020, 02:45 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
Thanks Puma Cat (Stephen?)! Overall, it was your positive advice that led me to this highly appreciated addition. I wasn’t overly impressed with my F228Be speakers, surprised, given all of the hype they have received. I actually considered selling them. After making the Shunyata Research addition, I am very happy!
That's great news, Dave, really happy it has worked out so well for you.

I see a lot of folks "chasing upgrades", most notably speakers, amps, pres, etc. in search of putting together an engaging and compelling sound system, all the while not considering or minimizing the importance of providing maximal DTCD and mitigating RF, EMI and internal power supply noise by using products e.g. a Shunyata power distributor, NR power cables and wall receptacle. The impact of the Shunyata QR/BB device on a system is singular and unique and really change the nature of the presentation in compelling ways. These things are foundational, IMHO, and once folks implememnt and install them, they often find they can stop "chasing" upgrades. What your speakers were doing were actually revealing problems elsewhere in your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM
I voiced these impressions on the Revel Owners Thread on the avsforum and was accused of spam and not staying on topic. They then revoked my permissions for posting on that thread! Amazing how closed minded many of that site’s members are and how the administrators have no problem censoring opinions that differ from the majority and mostly ignorant members. I don’t think they can handle the truth that their beloved Revels can be significantly improved by use of a top quality power distributor and cable. Their loss.
Wow, unbelievable. Its a system, after all, the various components interact.

IMHO, you're better off not wasting time with a closed-minded community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM
The Shunyata Research Denali is sitting proudly on the center shelf of my wooden rack! I have no carpeting in my home other than a few area rugs.
That's a good place for it. I don't know how many days you've had it, but it will continue to improve as it fully settles in over a period of 10 to 14 days. As for rugs, an area rug under the speakers will help with floor bounce. Just a suggestion for consideration. Also, consider those EVPs for your speakers once you get them set up and positioned permanently.

Really great to hear that you're happy.

Stephen aka PC...

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-16-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
consider those EVPs for your speakers once you get them set up and positioned permanently.
Yes, would the speaker’s floor spikes be removed and essentially replaced by 4 EVP’s per speaker?

I probably should replace the duplex outlet with a Shunyata CopperConn. The current outlet is probably original to the house built in 1989. After these two changes, the chase is suspended until next year.

I picked up a spray can of DeoxyIT D5. Was thinking of using it on the power plug connections. Bought it primarily to see if I can get the stock radio in my 1987 BMW M6 to come back to life. Haven’t tried it yet. No sound but it gets the external outside antenna to go up and down!

Dave

Last edited by DaveM; 08-16-2020 at 03:59 PM.