YES, I would go if I'm in the area 6 18.75%
Yes, but I wouldn't attend due to the risks 2 6.25%
No, they should cancel it 24 75.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2020, 12:14 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
We actually don't know what the mortality rate will be in the US, or really in many other countries either. That is because we have no idea how many have contracted the virus and have had either no symptoms or only mild illness. The denominator may be much larger than presently known. And also because of the vastly better health care available in the US, relative to other countries.
Its not possible to predict what an epedemiological outcome will be before its happened, but the death rate in the U.S. is tracking to be same as the ROW (rest of world). Currently, 22 of 500 of people in the U.S. confirmed to be infected with COVID-19 have died, which is a death rate of 4.4%, 1% higher than the ROW rate.

I agree the denominator of people that are infected with COViD-19 may be underestimated and/or under-reported.
Here is a set of key facts as to why:
1) CDC declined to utilize tests that were already available from the WHO; choosing instead to develop its own test.
2) Then, the first batch of tests developed by CDC proved to be defective.
3) CDC subsequently had to go back and re-develop an accurate and precise COVID-19 test, which is a reverse-transcriptase PCR test. BTW, I used to develop similar PCR tests (I'm one of the inventors of PCR) for other diagnostic applications during my professional career, so I know well the complexity of what is involved here; its not trivial. This is why it has taken CDC more time than other countries, e.g. South Korea, to get the required number of tests up to "scale" for testing people in the U.S.
4) the initial protocol released by the CDC for the people who could be tested resulted in under-reporting of infected individuals (e.g. the woman in Vacaville who finally was allowed to be tested and determined to be positive).
5) The FDA did not immediately trigger a regulatory workaround enabling qualified medical centers, e.g. Quest and LabCorp, to roll out tests that they had designed themselves.
Presently, the CDC is not reporting the actual number of people who have been tested and the Surgeon General, who I am watching on TV literally right now, refused to give an exact number, but it is estimated to be only 1,000-1,500. South Korea has tested over 150,000 citizens to date.

As for quality of the care in USA being the better relative to other countries, I'm also watching Dr. Irwin Redelener on TV right now state unequivocally that we don't have enough hospital beds or ventilators to care for the predicted number of patients requiring such care.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-09-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:16 PM

from Twitter...

“Dear AXPONA Community, AXPONA has been rescheduled from April 17-19 to August 7-9, 2020 out of concern for the health and safety of all participants due to the growing Coronavirus situation.”
Old 03-10-2020, 07:03 AM

I received an email yesterday regarding the cancellation.

There seems to be good availability of rooms as the Renaissance. I booked a new room and cancelled my old reservation.

Dear AXPONA Community,

AXPONA has been rescheduled from April 17-19 to August 7-9, 2020 out of concern for the health and safety of all participants due to the growing coronavirus situation. This decision was made following an outpouring of feedback from the AXPONA community over the last 72 hours.

The three most consistent themes we heard were, 1) fears of attending public events will increase in March and April, 2) AXPONA should still be held in 2020, and 3) reschedule later this year if possible. Although the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel is booked solid all year, they offered us a week in August that will accommodate all of AXPONA's space needs. So we secured it.

We rescheduled out of an abundance of caution during this unpredictable time to provide the best opportunity for a well-attended event and to ensure the best AXPONA experience for all show goers in 2020. We will contact all exhibitors and attendees directly later this week as we work through the details of the move.

Our sole priority today is to communicate this news immediately so everyone can adjust their plans accordingly. We thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience.

We look forward to seeing you all at AXPONA in August!

Sincerely,
Joel A. Davis
Founder & CEO, JD Events

joel@jdevents.com

August 7-9, 2020

axpona.com
Old 03-10-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I received an email yesterday regarding the cancellation.

There seems to be good availability of rooms as the Renaissance. I booked a new room and cancelled my old reservation.

Dear AXPONA Community,

AXPONA has been rescheduled from April 17-19 to August 7-9, 2020 out of concern for the health and safety of all participants due to the growing coronavirus situation. This decision was made following an outpouring of feedback from the AXPONA community over the last 72 hours.

The three most consistent themes we heard were, 1) fears of attending public events will increase in March and April, 2) AXPONA should still be held in 2020, and 3) reschedule later this year if possible. Although the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel is booked solid all year, they offered us a week in August that will accommodate all of AXPONA's space needs. So we secured it.

We rescheduled out of an abundance of caution during this unpredictable time to provide the best opportunity for a well-attended event and to ensure the best AXPONA experience for all show goers in 2020. We will contact all exhibitors and attendees directly later this week as we work through the details of the move.

Our sole priority today is to communicate this news immediately so everyone can adjust their plans accordingly. We thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience.

We look forward to seeing you all at AXPONA in August!

Sincerely,
Joel A. Davis
Founder & CEO, JD Events

joel@jdevents.com

August 7-9, 2020

axpona.com
Really? I'm today going to try to get a reservation, but I suspect it will say it's booked up.

Edit: Yeah, as I expected, I just spoke with a lady at the hotel and she states that the hotel is sold out for the AXPONA dates in August.

Weird -- the older and more decrepit my ears get, the greater my desire to buy newer and better "audiophile" gear!

Last edited by mtrot; 03-10-2020 at 09:26 AM.