AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 01-03-2021, 01:05 PM

While I’m skeptical I’m going to give a few of these a trial run because of the 30 day return policy.

Completely removing the fuses from my Ohm F loudspeakers made a huge improvement in clarity, but that was in the signal path.

I did trial SR Blue fuses a few years ago and I could tell no difference between them and the Littlefuse ones I was using. So back they went.

These are said to be better so worth another look.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-03-2021, 01:31 PM

Tom, I've played around with fuses when that trend just started arriving unto the audiophile nervosa scene.

They squarely fall into that category where you will hear a difference just like you will hear a difference if you play the same track 3 times in a row without changing anything at all...

No big deal. Have fun.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:18 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Tom, I've played around with fuses when that trend just started arriving unto the audiophile nervosa scene.

They squarely fall into that category where you will hear a difference just like you will hear a difference if you play the same track 3 times in a row without changing anything at all...

No big deal. Have fun.
Serge - don't you find it sad when someone does not/cannot hear the subtle changes that another can and therefore wants to substitute their own experience for what the other person hears? You can tell us what you do or don't hear, but you cannot tell us what each of us, as individuals, do or do not hear.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-03-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Serge - don't you find it sad when someone does not/cannot hear the subtle changes that another can and therefore wants to substitute their own experience for what the other person hears? You can tell us what you do or don't hear, but you cannot tell us what each of us, as individuals, do or do not hear.
Glenn, knock yourself out...
Old 03-03-2021, 09:26 PM

Default SR Orange Fuse Sale

I wanted to report back in my findings with SR Orange fuses. I put them in my 3 MC 2301’s, C 1100, and Yggdrasil DAC. All fed by various types of shielded Shunyata power cords.

I listened to some of my standard test pieces, then put in the Orange fuses and listened for a week. Then I put the stock fuses back in. And listened some more. I used speakers and headphones.

I could not hear any differences between the OEM fuses and the Synergistic Research Orange fuses.

None. Nada. Zip.

So back they went.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-04-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I wanted to report back in my findings with SR Orange fuses. I put them in my 3 MC 2301’s, C 1100, and Yggdrasil DAC. All fed by various types of shielded Shunyata power cords.

I listened to some of my standard test pieces, then put in the Orange fuses and listened for a week. Then I put the stock fuses back in. And listened some more. I used speakers and headphones.

I could not hear any differences between the OEM fuses and the Synergistic Research Orange fuses.

None. Nada. Zip.

So back they went.

Blaspheme! It costed money so dammit, it sounds better. Redo the tests!

Lol, I had similar results with fuses. Just listen to the music and buy a good bottle of wine or whiskey. [emoji6]
Old 03-04-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Blaspheme! It costed money so dammit, it sounds better. Redo the tests!

Lol, I had similar results with fuses. Just listen to the music and buy a good bottle of wine or whiskey. [emoji6]

Looks like I’m going to lose my audiophile card.

I love to try new things and see if they make a difference. Sometimes I surprise myself when something I think should make zero difference really improves the sound. Or when something I think should really make a difference just doesn’t matter.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-04-2021, 01:01 PM

Tom, I know you did not really expect a fuse to make a difference... Why would it?

There is a whole bunch of AC to DC rectification that goes on after the fuse and the juice is then stored in filtering, smoothing, as well as the storage caps for the DC power rail.

The incoming AC juice and whatever that fuse could have done to it, (whatever that even means) is no longer the same after it gets converted, stored and used up as needed by the power supply voltage rails.

It ain't no Mr. Potato Head anymore, that's for sure...

I don't know about that Audiophile Card but I know for sure that the 4 sec echoic memory of an audiophile sure creates some "interesting observations".

Last edited by PHC1; 03-04-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:54 PM

Default SR Orange Fuse Sale

It’s hard to eliminate bias whenever I try something new. In this case I had tried SR Blue fuses in a different system before and didn’t hear any improvement. So there’s that. If I’d shelled out $850 with no hope of getting it back then I might have heard an improvement!

Fuses are an interesting case because they exhibit very non-linear behavior with load. Their resistance changes based on the current going through them, especially the low current ones. So this could cause something untoward to happen sonically.

All of this is very equipment and system dependent so I’d never doubt that they make an improvement in some systems and not in others.

Besides, they come in very nice boxes.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-04-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
... Fuses are an interesting case because they exhibit very non-linear behavior with load. Their resistance changes based on the current going through them, especially the low current ones. So this could cause something untoward to happen sonically. All of this is very equipment and system dependent so I’d never doubt that they make an improvement in some systems ...
That's a nice explanation and I give you credit for trying the SR Orange fuses. There's something to be said for someone willing to experiment with a potential improvement, as opposed to those whose bias is so strong they'd never exert the effort.

And, your mind remains open to improvements the same fuses might make in another system. So kudos to you for that, too.

I've never experimented with premium fuses, but not because of ideology. I just haven't gotten around to it. Perhaps, with Covid isolation ongoing and the promise of a money-back guarantee, I should give 'em a try.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.