AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 08-27-2019, 06:35 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Fun stuff Stephan. Might be easier to buy a new home with a rectangular room you can measure with REW and then model all these variables.
Nah, the DOE will make it easy. Trying to do this OFAT (one-factor-at-a-time) is what would make someone crazy.

I'm already pretty close...an REW plot from yesterday after creating a Calibration file for the soundcard in the MacBook Pro....

(75dB used as the reference SPL)...

And, rectangular rooms are exactly the problem...especially those with back walls.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:19 PM
Racing Hoopties

What your base measurement tells me is you need to find a position of the Harbeths that improves the 100-300Hz region. Then use the sub to augment the 50Hz and below region. That might mean crossing the sub/mains at the 80Hz or above region.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-27-2019, 09:19 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
What your base measurement tells me is you need to find a position of the Harbeths that improves the 100-300Hz region. Then use the sub to augment the 50Hz and below region. That might mean crossing the sub/mains at the 80Hz or above region.
Thanks, Craig.

I don't have much room for moving the the Harbeths around in my small space, but I will definitely take your points into consideration and try some things out.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:40 PM
Racing Hoopties

I like this part of the room set up process. Wish I was there.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
I like this part of the room set up process. Wish I was there.
Ha! Yeah, I get that...

Cheers!
Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Nah, the DOE will make it easy. Trying to do this OFAT (one-factor-at-a-time) is what would make someone crazy.

I'm already pretty close...an REW plot from yesterday after creating a Calibration file for the soundcard in the MacBook Pro....

(75dB used as the reference SPL)...

And, rectangular rooms are exactly the problem...especially those with back walls.
Is that being measured at listening position?
Old 08-28-2019, 01:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
Is that being measured at listening position?
Yes.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yes.
That's pretty darn good for "in-room" at the listening position and overall the "curve" is approximating what one would shoot for at listening position. You might investigate floor bounce as a possible cause for the dip?
Old 08-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
That's pretty darn good for "in-room" at the listening position and overall the "curve" is approximating what one would shoot for at listening position. You might investigate floor bounce as a possible cause for the dip?
I could investigate it, but its not much of a dip, and from a practical perspective, what could I do about it? There's a carpet there; its my living room, not a man-cave.

As you say, its pretty darn good, and most importantly, the 'Beths sound REALLY good.

I'm pretty close and very happy; I'm just doing some experiments for learning and for fun. I wanted add the REL back in for some fill in the lower end, and I'm pretty close. I just turnd the gain on the REL up three clicks from where I was based on my DOE I did back in 2011 for the big Dyns.

Craig gave me a couple of good suggestions to look into, so I am going to try those out.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:18 AM
Cool, calm scientist

So, I followed up on Craig's suggestion and have been playing around with placement of the 30.2s. I turned the sub off to fine-tune the position of the mains, and I'm using a laser "tape measure" to measure the position of the mic to each speaker.

This plot is from my "#2" listening position, which is along a diagonal; there is effectively no back wall in this config, as the speakers fire down a 30' long hallway. This is how I listened to my Dyns for many years for "critical listening". The speakers are 9 1/2 feet from the mic; the speakers are ~2 meters apart per Harbeth's guidance.

This plot is double the resolution of the previous plot, with a 1:6 smoothing and is the average of both the L and R channels. Target SPL is 75 dB, so the horizontal reference line is set to that in the plot.

I dunno, this seems to be lookin' pretty good....as Craig mentioned, it looks like I want the sub to bring up just the range under 80 Hz.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-29-2019 at 01:33 AM.