AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 09-06-2021, 03:08 PM

Default Classical Music part II

Colleagues,

I picked up a copy of of Hi-Fi + magazine the other day ( a magazine I don't usually read} because it had an article on learning to love classical music, part 1.

As you probably know I am a poster boy for for classical music and whether or not I agree with the writer of Hi-Fi+ articles, I wanted to ask you, my fellow AudioAficionado-ites your thoughts on why classical music is not liked by more people.

Are we effete snobs, who demand Dom Perignon with our foie de gras or do we like our steak and fries with an IPA.

I would like to hear you comments before I give my response.

Happy Listening,

Gaius Petronius
Old 09-06-2021, 04:46 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Colleagues,

I picked up a copy of of Hi-Fi + magazine the other day ( a magazine I don't usually read} because it had an article on learning to love classical music, part 1.

As you probably know I am a poster boy for for classical music and whether or not I agree with the writer of Hi-Fi+ articles, I wanted to ask you, my fellow AudioAficionado-ites your thoughts on why classical music is not liked by more people.

Are we effete snobs, who demand Dom Perignon with our foie de gras or do we like our steak and fries with an IPA.

I would like to hear you comments before I give my response.

Happy Listening,

Gaius Petronius

Salve Petronius!

Yes, we are a bit of a snob.

For me, it is simple.
I can listen to classical all day.
To pop music: one album is enough, two in my best days.
But classical is an acquired taste, even more so than jazz, which is also niche.
Pop music is much more easily digestible.
Rhythms are simpler, melodies can be sung along by most people - try to do that with Bach's 'das musikalische Opfer'...

I think that people would like it better, if they were exposed more at a really young age.
Certainly a task for schools.
And parents.
I did my best...

Happy listening indeed.

Bartholomeus.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-06-2021, 06:59 PM

Thank you Bart,

Your right on the money with acquired taste, and the schools don't teach music appreciation. ( what do they teach anyway?) People are not exposed to classical music with the exception of orchestral film music, and there is not much of that these days.

Snob? I'm not sure, particularly of the performers. I'm usually just damned happy to get through a Bruckner Symphony with my lips still attached. Then the entire brass section goes out for beer.

The audience? Sure, Some of them but not most. I think that most of them are there to hear the music.

Are there any classical pieces that you recommend to new listeners?
I usually recommend Brittens young persons guide to the Orchestra The Planets, and Respighi's Roman Trilogy.

Keep on Listening
Old 09-06-2021, 07:54 PM

Greetings from Mt Baker, Petronius. My father was a classically trained pianist and, like you, I went to music school but ended up having to earn a living[emoji41]. I think there a couple of big reasons, at least here in the US, why classical is less popular:

Music appreciation is no longer taught in schools. When I was a kid, we had a music appreciation class in which the teacher played recordings of more accessible music, especially pieces that had a narrative or a natural story-line that the teacher could explain, like the Planets, Dvorak’s New World Symphony, Appalachian Spring, etc. We were also encouraged to take up a musical instrument, which the school provided at a very modest rental cost. Most kids didn’t end up rushing home to tell their parents to buy classical records, but at least they got a grounding in the basics.

The other challenge is not snobbery, but economics and access. Before recorded music, classical music, especially orchestral, was mostly accessible only to the upper classes. The average working stiff couldn’t afford to attend classical concerts, didn’t receive classical music training, didn’t understand classical, and probably considered it “high brow” and for the rich upper crust - the snobs. Most working class people did, however, have ample access to folk or “popular” music, whether played in the home on guitars and fiddles, or in taverns, beer halls and dance halls. As working class lived the American dream and ascended the economic ladder, they brought popular music with them - rather than classical music filtering down, popular music filtered up. To a large degree I think it still holds true that classical music is much less accessible to the majority of people, and ends up being primarily listened to by a smaller, more well educated elite.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 09-06-2021, 09:10 PM
Subaholic

It's all about your intelligence level and your indoctrination to the world of music.

TT-Revox B791, A/V Receiver-Yamaha Aventage 2010, Blu-Ray- Sony 1000 Universal Player, Amplifier-Cinepro 3K6E Mkii, Fronts- Mirage M3si, Rear-Mirage OM-9, 5 other Mirage surrounds. Subwoofer- Stereo Integrity HST-18 inch w/ 85lb. magnet, 4 1/2 inches of travel.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I wanted to ask you, my fellow AudioAficionado-ites your thoughts on why classical music is not liked by more people.
Because it is not socially relevant the way popular genres are.

Quote:
Dom Perignon with our foie de gras

Old 09-07-2021, 12:17 AM

If I may, I’ll share from the viewpoint of someone who has tried to get into classical music, and jazz for that matter, but just doesn’t get it. To shatter part of Hobie1dog's theory, I am probably more intelligent than the average bear…although my wife might disagree some days ��. I have read a couple of books, listened to numerous albums, and attended a couple of symphony concerts. I think the issue is not having others to explain, guide, and decipher what is going on. Books analytically explaining it just doesn’t cut it for me. Music is more personal than that. I would love to find a friend who could sit, listen, discuss, and emote what the music is about. That's my two cents.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Colleagues,
I wanted to ask you, my fellow AudioAficionado-ites your thoughts on why classical music is not liked by more people.
One reason--and it's strictly a guess--is that it's because classical typically requires a more-than-casual attention span, where you have to listen actively, often for long stretches--unless all you care about is the "big tune." We're an immediate-gratification, hurry-hurry culture, and the rigors of classical listening don't quite fit that mold.

I suspect that the same could apply to jazz.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:37 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
One reason--and it's strictly a guess--is that it's because classical typically requires a more-than-casual attention span, where you have to listen actively, often for long stretches--unless all you care about is the "big tune." We're an immediate-gratification, hurry-hurry culture, and the rigors of classical listening don't quite fit that mold.

I suspect that the same could apply to jazz.
Yes. Two and a half reasons today for the ever shortening attention span:TV and the Internet and the remote control. Before those, pop culture and radio. All related to a proclivity or disinclination to focus without distraction for 20-90 minutes.

Although there are exceptions, classical music is more complex tonally, temporally and dynamically than most other music genres. It is more complex (and expensive) to execute well, requiring, at the orchestral level, 30-120 trained musicians, 20-40 different instruments, a large perfomrance space with decent acoustics and a singular genius level conductor to control it all while understanding a score. Fewer patrons are positioned to bear those expenses. Modernist and post-modern music (as interesting as they may be) do not have the audience draw of classical and romantic genres providing both tension and release.

For an entertaining read try The Life and Death of Classical Music by Norman Lebrecht.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:09 PM

Good comments and insights all. If I may address the comments from Imapo, classical music just might be not for you. Before you throw it out, get a couple of recordings of some easily accessable recordings that tell a story. Ie,The Pines of Rome, and Church Windows both by Respighi, Scherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov, and maybe some orchestral film music from some movies you have seen. Star-Wars is an obvious example, Ben-Hur (the 1959 one) by Miklos Rozsa is another.
And again it just may not be for you.

Addressing attention span...hoo boy, I have no idea how that can be fixed. O Lord please give me patience and I WANT IT NOW!!!!

Thank you Tima on the Norman Lebrecht books. I'll get them.