AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 05-29-2016, 04:15 PM

I love the Quattro's. ATM, though, I am reveling in my new Treo CT's. Incredible clarity.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
I love the Quattro's. ATM, though, I am reveling in my new Treo CT's. Incredible clarity.
Other than the powered bass, the Treo CT has the same complement of drivers as the Quatro. So under most circumstances you're enjoying the same sound.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 05-30-2016, 08:24 AM

If my room was bigger I would be tempted. Plenty of good low end without the subs with the Treo's. I have been enjoying Vandy's for 30 years.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomictime View Post
Congrats on the 7 mk 2
About 600 hours on ours..loving them....
richard is an amazing engineer and music lover.
The Quatro CT are freakishly good.heard them Saturday at Stereo Unlimited San D
Thanks Tom! I was wondering what source, preamp and amps that you and other Vandersteen 7 owners are using?

Best,
Ken
Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 AM

Have any Vandersteen Model 7 or 5 owners purchased the Vandersteen M7-HPA monoblock amplifiers? If so, what are your impressions of the amps?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 06-04-2016, 10:31 AM

I don't have either. I have Treo's that I'm trying to sell so that I may get the Quatro's as I finally saved enough for them. I have heard both the 7 mk2's with Richards amps quite a bit. That amp is special. It makes the 7's a powered speaker. He voiced the amp for the speaker obviously and it shows. I have never heard better sound that I did a couple of weekends ago with the 7 mk2, amp, ARC Ref 6 pre, AQ WEL cables, Niagara 7000 (this is a MUST have piece after Richard's amp!). Mostly AMG TT/arm. Not sure of the cart. Some digital, but that wasn't nearly as impressive as the vinyl and I do like a lot of digital when it's top shelf.

The sound bettered the Ayre MRX, the Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse Mono's as well as the ARC Ref 175's. Richard's amp sounded like an SET on top (he LOVES what the SET does from the mid bass up and it shows in spades. Just liquid and realistic mids. Voices, both male and female were scary good. After the show there were a couple of us who got the pleasure of listening in the hot seat for a few hours. The sound was the best I've heard to date and that includes an all top of the line Tidal system that was set up in one of the best sounding rooms I've ever listened in. The pre amp in that Tidal system goes for more than Richards speakers or amp! Lot's more actually.

It was the bass that impressed me the most possibly. Richard has built the technology of the new AQ Niagara INTO the amps! He also has the AQ DBS unit built INTO the amps! The tunable bass made a room that needs a bit of help sound the best I've heard it. I've heard this system a lot, but never as good as I did once Richards amps were put into place. Yes, they are more expensive than the others I believe (I don't look at costs that much unless it's in my range and I'm two rungs down the ladder other than source, lol). People don't always realize how much of a difference the pre or amp make, but they really do. I hope you all have a chance to hear this amp. I know of a few who were able to afford it and they purchased it the first time they hear it. they owned very nice, zero feedback amps to begin with, but they did fall in love with this production version of this amp. Love how he's branching out before he turns the keys over to the kids!
Old 06-04-2016, 05:15 PM

Thanks for posting your impressions of Richard's new amp. I think this is an interesting move on his part. It sounds like he partnered heavily with AudioQuest. Not surprising given that he used AQ's Sky ICs for the high pass filters for the Quatro Wood CTs. I'm sure he's used AQ cables for the Model 5 and 7 filters as well.

Some of the best sounding gear I've ever heard come from Vandersteen and Linn. It's great that both businesses are family affairs. Ivor Teifenbrun (whom I've met) already handed the reins over to his son but is still involved with promoting the brand. Richard seems like he has some years to go. The fact that there is a younger generation involved should mean both firms will exist and make nice equipment for a while.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 06-06-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
I don't have either. I have Treo's that I'm trying to sell so that I may get the Quatro's as I finally saved enough for them. I have heard both the 7 mk2's with Richards amps quite a bit. That amp is special. It makes the 7's a powered speaker. He voiced the amp for the speaker obviously and it shows. I have never heard better sound that I did a couple of weekends ago with the 7 mk2, amp, ARC Ref 6 pre, AQ WEL cables, Niagara 7000 (this is a MUST have piece after Richard's amp!). Mostly AMG TT/arm. Not sure of the cart. Some digital, but that wasn't nearly as impressive as the vinyl and I do like a lot of digital when it's top shelf.

The sound bettered the Ayre MRX, the Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse Mono's as well as the ARC Ref 175's. Richard's amp sounded like an SET on top (he LOVES what the SET does from the mid bass up and it shows in spades. Just liquid and realistic mids. Voices, both male and female were scary good. After the show there were a couple of us who got the pleasure of listening in the hot seat for a few hours. The sound was the best I've heard to date and that includes an all top of the line Tidal system that was set up in one of the best sounding rooms I've ever listened in. The pre amp in that Tidal system goes for more than Richards speakers or amp! Lot's more actually.

It was the bass that impressed me the most possibly. Richard has built the technology of the new AQ Niagara INTO the amps! He also has the AQ DBS unit built INTO the amps! The tunable bass made a room that needs a bit of help sound the best I've heard it. I've heard this system a lot, but never as good as I did once Richards amps were put into place. Yes, they are more expensive than the others I believe (I don't look at costs that much unless it's in my range and I'm two rungs down the ladder other than source, lol). People don't always realize how much of a difference the pre or amp make, but they really do. I hope you all have a chance to hear this amp. I know of a few who were able to afford it and they purchased it the first time they hear it. they owned very nice, zero feedback amps to begin with, but they did fall in love with this production version of this amp. Love how he's branching out before he turns the keys over to the kids!
Hi Ctsooner,

I was also at the Audio Connection event a few weekends ago and listened to the Vandy 7 MkII and M7-HPA monoblocks. I loved the combo but I actually preferred the ARC CD-9 and Ref 6 preamp over the AMG turntable and Ref 3 phonostage. John admitted that there may have been an issue with the cartridge and a not fully burned in Ref 3 causing the treble to sound bright. Nevertheless, the system sounded awesome and I heard some notable differences compared to my previous favorites, the Atlas Signature monoblocks. I felt the Vandy monoblocks had more weight in the lower octaves, more bloom in the midrange and overall were more transparent, bringing one closer to the recorded event.

Having said that, the Atlas Signature monoblocks are also very special with a sweet treble, beautiful midrange body and dimension and a slightly warm and rounded bass that lay the perfect foundation. They are some of the least fatiguing amps I've ever heard. I can listen to them for hours on end. You mentioned that you heard the new Atlas Eclipse monoblocks. How did they compare sonically to the Atlas Signature monoblocks?

All the best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 06-06-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 AM

Planer, next time say howdy. I always walk with walking sticks or a rollator as I have MS. I'm very close with Johnny and he'll always point me out. I love meeting folks who have the same passion. I was lucky to get to go out afterwards with Richard, Dave, Garth, Steven and Johnny. Just awesome guys. Richard spent most of dinner telling me his thoughts on speakers and audiophiles. I know a lot of folks in this business on all sides of things and no one has more passion and care for people. That part isn't always talked about as he's so opinionated, but I am on his side as I love what he produces. He has a TON up his sleeve over the next few years. That includes the new 9 subs he just showed. Even more to come!

Even though the cartridge was a bit bright, it wasn't fatiguing. When everyone left we all sat and listened. Garth just played with the power strip and that blew us all away for only 1k. I think I posted that above. I also forgot to mention that Richard incorporates the HR technology into his amps. Their products also make a huge difference. I was at Take 5 Audio in CT a few days ago and Ralph and I talked about the difference HR products make. He is just getting them in.

I have the Rhea and appreciate all that Jim and his crew do. They are just great guys and I see why Richard does a lot of rooms with them over the years. The Atlas Sigs are awesome. I love listening to them in various set ups. The Eclipse are even more special. However the Vandersteen amps still beat them with Vandy speakers. I'm holding off changing amps as I'll wait for the smaller and more affordable Vandy amp to show up .

Ken, what does your system consists of? I am trying to figure out how to put mine into my signature so folks can reference where I'm coming from.

Last edited by ctsooner; 06-13-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:05 AM

had to come back to this thread. What speakers did you decide to go with? Yes, Johnny has the Treo's set up nicely and they will sound even better in your own home I'm sure. There isn't a huge trade off with the regular tweeters vs the CT's. The CT's WILL give you a sweeter high end with more air around the notes, but it's not a huge difference. Worth it to many, but if you haven't purchased them yet and want a great deal, let me know as I'm starting to get very serious about selling mine. I've turned down some low ball offers, from folks just kicking tires. lol....That review was amazing and worth the words.