AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Paradigm

Paradigm All about the Sound

Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 AM

Default Paradigm - Signature Reference Series.

I would never had believe my eyes & ears when I dropped by the local Thorens Dealer, who also happen to carry JM Labs Focal speakers as well as .... Paradigm (and of course a whole other range of amplifiers, like Rotel, etc,...).

Jim, this is the place where we audition the JM Labs Utopia Maestro!

The sales guy, who now became a good friend (after my Thorens TD2030 purchase) told me to be "open minded" and have a listen to a pair of speakers - the small Paradigm Signature Series 1, matching stands (can be filled with sand, ball bearings, what have you to make it inert & heavy - the ones in the showroom was filled with fine sand) coupled to the pretty looking Seismic 110 "Aplha Dog" 10 inch subwoofer. Take a look at the pictures and you know what I mean.

When he played "Take Five" - the "jazzed up drumming" the bass notes are so realistic, the drumming (sticks hitting the skin) impact, so real. Cant believe such a small speaker (on a beautiful glass stand) could produce such sound! No boom at all. The dealer told me he did a "clean" up using a software which he will do the same if any customer buy the whole system. Electronics was the REGA Osiris integrated amplifier & Isis CD player with the Rega P9 TT (separate power supply).

Vocals? Its there with the best. Open, clean and clear. Carly Simon, in the newly re-recorded "I'm So Vain" sounded so good!

In short, I can safely say the speakers (with the sub woofers - "cleaned up with room software") can take on any speakers that are in the S$15000 category.

How much did they cost? Well, the Signature 1 I was told are S$2000 (stands at S$500 a pair) and woofers at S$2000 a piece. Total, if stereo bass, would be S$6500. Very impressive.

By the way, the cabinets of the smallish Signature 1 are aluminum and the tweeter - beryllium! Pure beryllium!

If I am looking for a small pair of speakers, this would definitely be high on my list. By itself (sans subs), they do sounded very open, wide and detailed. Of course, the bass do not have the depth and bloom. For near field listening, its on par or even better than the famous LS3/5a series.

I walked out, an hour later, very impressed. It may not be the best there is and definitely not in the category with the Wilson and the likes, but by itself, anyone with a budget should give this a listen. I did and never regretted. In fact, I am "sold"

OK, so much about my experience. Go give them a listen and you may be in for a surprise.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seismic 110 - Alpha Dog.jpg (53.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Signature 1 Reference.jpg (27.4 KB, 85 views)
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 AM

They are quite impressive lil giant killers arnt they
Old 07-24-2010, 04:52 AM

Jerry,

If you are looking for a pair of tiny but superb speakers, go listen to the Kiso Acoustics speaker. Wonderful but pricey at about US$15k
Old 07-24-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Jerry,

If you are looking for a pair of tiny but superb speakers, go listen to the Kiso Acoustics speaker. Wonderful but pricey at about US$15k
No Money!

US$15k? If I have that kind of money for hifi, I would buy the Sooloos Control 15 with Twinstore, a nice Ortofon 2M Black & this pair of Paradigm Signature 1.

Meridian DSP8000 good enough for me .... long time. I need to stick to that promise my friend! At least for a year!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM

Jerry, I agree with you about the Paradigm Signature S1 being an outstanding ultra-compact speaker. I own a S1 v.3 pair mounted on Paradigm stands that I really enjoy. Amazing sound from these little speakers!

Last edited by Steady339; 01-16-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
No Money!

US$15k? If I have that kind of money for hifi, I would buy the Sooloos Control 15 with Twinstore, a nice Ortofon 2M Black & this pair of Paradigm Signature 1.

Meridian DSP8000 good enough for me .... long time. I need to stick to that promise my friend! At least for a year!
Jerry, I must say I am extremely impressed with your self control lately. You went from crazy gear changing frenzy to a guy that just want to enjoy music. Great job
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 AM

Jerry, the Reference Signature series were my second foray into speakers & the first set where I started to get serious about my home system. They punch way above their weight!!!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:26 PM

I took delivery of a pair of v3 Signature S6s last year. They are powered by an NAD M25 .

They sounded good right out of the box but in the last couple of months they have improved tremendously. The midrange detail and clarity is amazing. Listening to familiar music often yields previously unheard nuances.

Annie Lennox, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, etc. all float magically in the middle of the sound stage.

They perform double duty for both music and home theatre and are equally adept at both.

They put a smile on my face at every listen.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:27 PM

I think I need to give a listen to the Signature S2 monitors. Right now using Focal Aria 906 in my small system, they got a great review from TAS. But are a bit warmish through the mid-bass for my taste. Anyone know what version of the S2 is current and how recent this revision is?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I think I need to give a listen to the Signature S2 monitors. Right now using Focal Aria 906 in my small system, they got a great review from TAS. But are a bit warmish through the mid-bass for my taste. Anyone know what version of the S2 is current and how recent this revision is?
The current version (v.3) was introduced in 2009 I believe. However, the entire Signature line has been discontinued since June. You may not be able to find any S2s but your best bet is to contact a dealer.

Last edited by 519audionut; 09-15-2016 at 10:46 PM.