AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbites View Post
Thanks for the inputs but I'm feeling guilty over the purchase so I'm scrimping on the amp for know.
I'm toying with the pro Crown xls 1500 or 2000, it's really cheap compared to a used Mac and what not. I'm just having misgivings on the quality of sound I'll get at this price point.
Hallo!

My brother is driving his 4312E with Crown XLS1500 with great result. I would go for the newer XLS1502, more than enough to drive the 4312E

Like the pictures, I see the 4319, had it before I got the 4429.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs but I'm feeling guilty over the purchase so I'm scrimping on the amp for know.
I'm toying with the pro Crown xls 1500 or 2000, it's really cheap compared to a used Mac and what not. I'm just having misgivings on the quality of sound I'll get at this price point.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the price. I feel remiss for not suggesting it myself. The XLS series is fan cooled but I doubt you'll hear the fan in normal use and it is a variable speed unit so I would bet that for most applications it may never even turn on. I is a Class D (switching supply) amplifier but that brings efficiency benefits in trade. Direct coupled balanced inputs on XLRs as well.

It's appropriate as Crown is a sister company to JBL but if you were willing to spend more, the ATIs are highly regarded and well built and would probably be more akin to your Mc gear in philosophy and topology, minus many Mc features like the autoformers and glorious cosmetics.

The XLS Crowns will certainly drive the JBLs though.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
The XLS Crowns will certainly drive the JBLs though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
I would go for the newer XLS1502, more than enough to drive the 4312E
Thanks!
The other reason the Crowns look appealing now is that in a year or so i intend to upgrade to bigger JBL's. Im so happy with the 4312E that i think i'll enjoy the higher models. As I'm not inclined to spend for another set of Mcintosh for the JBL's i can get another Crown, down the road, and run each of them in mono when i do decide to get higher JBLs.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 PM

As an update.

The 4312's woofers have loosened up a bit. Initially i had to dial down the mid and high attenuators as they were overpowering the woofers at low to mid volume levels. Now it seems that the woofers have loosened a bit, i know the woofers will have more play in due time. The Mc275's are terrific in pushing the JBL's. I always had the mistaken notion that the tube amps were for detailed, jazzy music. I don't think so now.

I just played Hall & Oates, McHammer, Queen, dePeche, Vanilla Ice and some of my kids' Zedd music on the 4312 and Macs and they really do rock. Maybe its a placebo effect but seemingly the JBLs rock more than the Sonus Grand Pianos.

This changes my perspective, i was supposed to keep the JBL's and Grand Pianos in different areas of the house. But now I'm thinking of selling them both and getting higher model JBLs using the combined funds. Oh well we soldier on.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
As an update.

The 4312's woofers have loosened up a bit. Initially i had to dial down the mid and high attenuators as they were overpowering the woofers at low to mid volume levels. Now it seems that the woofers have loosened a bit, i know the woofers will have more play in due time. The Mc275's are terrific in pushing the JBL's. I always had the mistaken notion that the tube amps were for detailed, jazzy music. I don't think so now.

I just played Hall & Oates, McHammer, Queen, dePeche, Vanilla Ice and some of my kids' Zedd music on the 4312 and Macs and they really do rock. Maybe its a placebo effect but seemingly the JBLs rock more than the Sonus Grand Pianos.

This changes my perspective, i was supposed to keep the JBL's and Grand Pianos in different areas of the house. But now I'm thinking of selling them both and getting higher model JBLs using the combined funds. Oh well we soldier on.

I just got a pair of 4312E's. Essentially brand new, with very little use and very little break in. I'm having to do the same thing regarding dialing down the mid/high controls for now. Still sound great. Driving them with a McIntosh MC2300.

How did you find placement and directionality? I find that they are a little more touchy then my 4412's, but that could be symptom of break in. Once placed correctly for my room though, imaging is quite good.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:51 PM

I find that they sound better when spaced more than 6 feet apart elevated a foot or so from the floor. I played them recently with speakers directly on the floor and they sound good too, just a different flavor