AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 09-15-2018, 02:51 PM

Thank you, Thyname & just to be clear, are you saying that the KX5-Twenty will never produce a liquid, holographic sound as the K5xeMP is capable of?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
Thank you, Thyname & just to be clear, are you saying that the KX5-Twenty will never produce a liquid, holographic sound as the K5xeMP is capable of?
I have no idea what these terms mean for music, but I am pretty sure the KX-5 Twenty is a significant improvement over K-5xe
Old 09-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Yes, it’s difficult to convey in words the experience of music/sound. By liquid, I mean that the sound flows smoothly and, at this point, my Kx5-twenty is not smooth and I’m assuming this is because it’s not broken in. As for holographic, I mean a 3dimensional soundscape that makes the speakers evaporate, the sound emanates as if though I’m surrounded by it (is hopefully a better description). The K5xe seems more laid back, the Kx5-twenty more forward. In any case, it seems it’s too early to make a comparison. My greatest worry is that the Kx5-twenty is exacerbating my tinnitus; but, I have a flu bug and so, again, I need be patient, but will hold off on the sale of my K5xeMP, for the time being.

Thanks for your response/s
Old 09-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Your tinnitus is an X factor. However, that notwithstanding, be patient with it and run it in. From my own experience, it takes time. But it rewarded me in spades. You shouldachieve that liquid and holographic sound on a multiple order of the K-5xeMP.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Thank you, Will & I hope you’re right. The X factor, my tinnitus, worries me the most, whether or not the Kx5-Twenty will affect it. Time will tell.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:27 PM

I think that the greater transparency and extension are what you need to adjust to. They might be a bit of a shock to the comparatively smoothed out sound that you've been accustomed with. My experience was that once I started adjusting, I started hearing more layers and more delineation of individual things in the music yet a simultaneous and paradoxical effect of hearing everything as a more cohesive whole.

It took a long time to break in but I recall jumps in performance. I experienced similar non linear performance jumps with the K-5xeMP. That is Ayre, I guess.

It also takes a little warm up time each power up, even from standby.

I went from K-5xeMP + Bryston 4B SST to K-5xeMP + VX-5 Twenty to KX-5 Twenty.

Last edited by will; 09-16-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:18 PM

Will, I think it’s the greater transparency and extension that I fear may be exacerbating my tinnitus - wish there was a cure for it. I have a head cold, however and will have to wait until the ringing settles down before I can make a judgement about it - need to keep my fingers crossed!

I’m at about the 100 hour mark and it is smoother.

Thanks for the explanation, is appreciated and helps!

And, enjoy your system!

John
Old 09-17-2018, 04:44 AM

I don't understand how transparency or extension from Ayre components might effect tinnitus, a neurological disorder, although exposure to high level sounds can damage hair cells along the basilar membrane that result in hearing loss, typically a half octave above the exposure. Caveat: It's been decades since I followed auditory literature.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 AM

My guess is that if there is already some ringing going on, high frequency sounds can exacerbate that ringing, while treble roll off is perceived as smoother and more relaxed. And if there is congestion in the passages, that ringing can be more present. The best hi-fi comes after a head cold, after the drainage and nose-blowing clears the passages out. Or after an ear cleaning, which I'm about to do again soon.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Here's how I understand my circumstances. I'm told that, despite my advanced age, my hearing is still quite good, except for damage at 8000 hz's in my left ear and that this is likely responsible for the tinnitus, the ringing I experience. I have an EC Zana Deux tube headphone amp and especially when paired with my old Mac Mr67 tuner, the resolution is exceptionally high, so much so that the only way I can listen is if I turn the volume way, way down. If I listen to my Denon tuner, via my headphone amp, which doesn't have the same high res, I can listen at higher volume. My theory is that my tinnitus is exacerbated whenever the 8k hz bell is rung and when the resolution is higher, there's more detail, or more sonic information ringing the bell, whereas if the volume is higher, the 8k hz bell is struck, not more often, but with greater intensity. Ok, so I'm using my imagination here, don't actually know how it all works, but my theory fits with my experience.

The issue isn't with Ayre gear, per se, but likely with the increased resolution provided by the Kx5-Twenty, more information knocking around the 8k hz bell. The greater transparency provides more sonic information and the extension, or intensity, is also increased and this could be exacerbating my tinnitus; but, as I explained, I'm just coming out of a nasty head cold and so too soon to tell.

And, indeed, the Kx5-Twenty is opening up quite nicely as its breaking in, just as explained here.

Thank you all!