AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 09-07-2018, 07:47 PM

KX-5 Twenty arrived. My X-5 Twenty trifecta is now complete!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
KX-5 Twenty arrived. My X-5 Twenty trifecta is now complete!

[emoji106]Sweet!🤙

What kind of interconnect are you using to tie it all together?
Old 09-08-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrubTheHedgehog View Post
[emoji106]Sweet!🤙

What kind of interconnect are you using to tie it all together?
Thanks.

As for Interconnects, I am just using some from Amazon Basics.

Just kidding.... Cardas Clear Reflections XLR
Old 09-08-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Thanks.

As for Interconnects, I am just using some from Amazon Basics.

Just kidding.... Cardas Clear Reflections XLR

Haha dude ya almost started a war! 🤣 Good choice!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 PM

I’ve been in this hobby for nearly 40 years. I decided to steer away from tubes, with the intent of a hassle free listening experience and settled on a new Bryston 4b3 and an Ayre K5xeMP. At first, I wasn’t impressed, but after logging in 200 to 300 hours, the system came alive - a liquid, holographic sound that I was not expecting! And, to add to the experience, I have tinnitus and discovered I could fully enjoy the presentation at low volume, without exacerbating my tinnitus. I can unequivocally say that my Ayre Kx5xeMP is the best preamp I’ve ever owned!

So, what happened? I read this thread, along with a number of reviews of the Kx5-Twenty and thought that if it’s so much better, perhaps the last pre you’d ever buy, with the same characteristics of allowing joyful, low volume listening, I’d give it a shot! So, I bought one!

Buyers remorse? Ok, Although used, it was recently built and I sense it hasn’t had a lot of use. The obvious: the sound is more transparent and the frequencies are extended at both ends; however, that liquid, holographic quality isn’t there! Please tell me this is a break-in issue and that I’ll regain these qualities in the new pre?

Thanks,

John
Old 09-14-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
I’ve been in this hobby for nearly 40 years. I decided to steer away from tubes, with the intent of a hassle free listening experience and settled on a new Bryston 4b3 and an Ayre K5xeMP. At first, I wasn’t impressed, but after logging in 200 to 300 hours, the system came alive - a liquid, holographic sound that I was not expecting! And, to add to the experience, I have tinnitus and discovered I could fully enjoy the presentation at low volume, without exacerbating my tinnitus. I can unequivocally say that my Ayre Kx5xeMP is the best preamp I’ve ever owned!

So, what happened? I read this thread, along with a number of reviews of the Kx5-Twenty and thought that if it’s so much better, perhaps the last pre you’d ever buy, with the same characteristics of allowing joyful, low volume listening, I’d give it a shot! So, I bought one!

Buyers remorse? Ok, Although used, it was recently built and I sense it hasn’t had a lot of use. The obvious: the sound is more transparent and the frequencies are extended at both ends; however, that liquid, holographic quality isn’t there! Please tell me this is a break-in issue and that I’ll regain these qualities in the new pre?

Thanks,

John
I also have a 4B3 + K-5xeMP and am thinking about upgrading to KX-5 Twenty! Though I cannot speak for KX-5 Twenty, I recently had a similar experience with QB-9 DSD which I bought from Audiogon. The unit had obvious signs of use so I assumed it had been fully broken in by the previous owner. I was not very impressed with its output for the first couple of days although I could find some upsides. I considered selling it, but after a few days of operation it started to "open up", and eventually I started feel there is no going back.. I hope your KX-5 Twenty is also in the middle of break in.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:57 PM

Thank you, Kentauta & I hope so, too! I’ve hooked up my trusty ole Denon tu-800 and am logging hours now in the hope of a transformation.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 PM

What kind if cable is connecting the two units? How many hours are on the unit?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:16 AM

I’m using Audio Art, balanced cables, 22’ - the same balanced cables I’ve been using for 15 years. The Kx5-Twenty, I purchased it used, but I understand it has had little use on only two inputs (I don’t know which); the serial number shows the most recent version. I’ve logged 60 hours on it, so far.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
I’m using Audio Art, balanced cables, 22’ - the same balanced cables I’ve been using for 15 years. The Kx5-Twenty, I purchased it used, but I understand it has had little use on only two inputs (I don’t know which); the serial number shows the most recent version. I’ve logged 60 hours on it, so far.
The KX-5 Twenty is quite different than the K-5xe you’re used to. The diamond output stage and upgraded volume control mechanism bring it in a different league. Yes, you will be lacking the dark, midrange focused midrange that you get with K5xe, but the total resolution, airiness and extension on Kx-5 is unparalleled.

And it needs a lot more break in. Ayre manual says a minimum of 100 hours, with 500 hours optimal