AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Remote Control

Remote Control Power is Nothing without Control

Old 11-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Logitech Harmony Hub Setup, the SMART Universal Remote

The Logitech Harmony Hub allows you to easily connect your entire entertainment center together and control the whole thing with one remote or your smartphone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbdBfTUr30

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-06-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Hi Dan, I have a Harmony Hub with the Companion remote and it has worked well for me. I have had it for about a year. The remote has great feel, it controls all of my HT devices well (even my 20 year old Marantz), and it was easy to set up. Having now used an RF remote + Hub, I could not go back to a directional IR control.

The only issue I have experienced with the hub is that it will often drop off my Wifi Network for a minute or two (there is no Ethernet connector on the back otherwise it would be wired in). I tried two different hubs, both experienced this issue. The workaround was to switch the Hub from using Wifi to control of my Roku to IR. IR works better anyways, the Roku receives IR remote signals more quickly than over Wifi so I can fast forward through commercials more quickly. Overall, Logitech tech support was helpful and easy to work with. I don't use smartphone control except to adjust remote settings occasionally.

Living Room: Focal 807V, Rotel RA-1520, Rotel RDD-1580 (USB), Transparent Musiclink Plus IC, PS Audio PPP, QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable, JRiver MC24, Technics SL-Q300 Turntable with Grado Prestige Green.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:56 PM

Yes I use the Harmony Elite with Alexa and it is awesome.

Simple to use and simple to program most any component.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Yes I use the Harmony Elite with Alexa and it is awesome.

Simple to use and simple to program most any component.

Ron
I have the same setup with Alexa. It works flawlessly. My sons were impressed that their dad had set up the system all by himself. What is nice I also control the lights as well with the alexa.
If you are thinking about getting a new remote, the Harmony Elite with the hub and Alexa should be on your short list.
Ed
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 11-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Music Nut

Agreed. I recently replaced most of my home theater gear (NAD M17 pre/pro, Cambridge Blu-Ray/4K, LG OLED) and also replaced my Philips remote with the Harmony Elite and Hub.

Easy to program, works very well...a little shy on customization compared to the upper level Philips, but also less than half the price, with more core features.

Very satisfied.
Two Channel: YG Acoustics Carmel, REL S/3 (pair); Bricasti M25 / M20 / M1 Limited Gold, Laufer Teknik Memory Player 64 32 core; Stealth Sextet V15T AES/EBU, Echole Obsession XLR, Liquid Cables by Laufer Teknik speaker / USB / power; Nordost QB8mkII, Qx1/Qv2/QKore3; Stillpoints Apertures, various Artnovion; Stillpoints Ultra SS, IsoAcoustics Gaia II
Old 11-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Scott.......Good to hear you are a satisfied Logitech customer. The Harmony Hub is quite sophisticated in its ability to provide and store all of the various remote commands and ingeniously create macros for the various viewing scenarios.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-06-2018, 02:17 PM

I have 4 Harmony hub/remote, from the $100 touch screen one to the $50 screenless one, to the simple 650, for my different systems. They do what they are supposed to do, even though I still think the non-smart 650 works best for most of my purposes.

When it comes to McIntosh systems, because of the existing triggers, many times I found harmony hub/remotes to be redundant or even cumbersome.

In my home, the only place where I really love the harmony hub, is my media room, because my equipments don't support trigger and are in my back so hard to point remotes to, and I have so many "scenarios" with so many different devices.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:19 PM

Not a fan. Can’t get it to work reliably. Likely a user error, but just doesn’t work every time I pick it up. More frustrating than if it never worked.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Not a fan. Can’t get it to work reliably. Likely a user error, but just doesn’t work every time I pick it up. More frustrating than if it never worked.
When you hit "Help" does that fix the problem?

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-06-2018, 11:02 PM

Default Logitech Harmony Hub Setup, the SMART Universal Remote

Some devices have Linux as operating systems so need a long time to start. For those devices, sometimes Harmony does not work well, especially if you want to program your device to switch to a specific mode once it’s started. The delay settings do not work all the times in this situation.