AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. I was a little nervous that the break in of these cables might be somewhat brutal based on some comments I've read on these forums. I'm pleased to report, however, that while I'm far from total break in, the sound out of the box is already quite an improvement.

When I demoed the cables (all Cobra level at the time) I had tested each one individually to compare their contributions. The differences were all subtle but notable, with the power components contributing mostly to clarity and dynamics and the signal cables drastically improving the accuracy of my sound stage and the realism of stringed instruments.

Last night, however, I didn't have the luxury of time due to being on solo dad duty, so I just plugged everything in at once. Wow. The difference of hearing everything at once was not subtle at all. My observations were similar to what I demoed, but much more noticeable with everything installed at once. The bass does feel slightly leaner (perhaps more controlled?) - the jury is still out on that and perhaps it will improve with break-in.

So in a conclusion, if this is just the beginning, I can't wait to hear how these cables improve with break-in. I'm going to run the system for the next couple of weeks and see what happens.

I did have one question though. The connector on my 20A Python power cord is a very loose fit for the Talos. Has anyone noticed this? Is it safe to wrap the plug in electric tape to give it a tighter fit?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Good choice. You made the right decision, and will be happy.

Between my two channel and HT systems, I have a Triton, Hydra AV, 2 port Talos, 1 Z Anaconda PC, 3 Z Python PCs, 7 Z Cobras, 3 SR71 outlets, 1 pair Z Anaconda speaker cables, 3 pair Z Anaconda balanced ICs, 1 pair Z Python ICs, and 4 Venom PCs. Because of these cables I had to upgrade my two channel system to be worthy enough.

I even removed the hard wired power cable from my TV and added an IEC connector so I could use a Cobra on it.
It's a slippery slope, indeed! How did the Cobra work out on your TV?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbaron View Post
I did have one question though. The connector on my 20A Python power cord is a very loose fit for the Talos. Has anyone noticed this? Is it safe to wrap the plug in electric tape to give it a tighter fit?
Go ahead. I have done that for a few components. In fact, Shunyata CS gave me the tip. For me, it only took one wrap to tighten up the connection.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
It's a slippery slope, indeed! How did the Cobra work out on your TV?
Great. The picture is brighter and sharper, with more intense colors. Red especially responded well. Jessica Chastin in Zero Dark Thirty looks even better. Now that I have both the hardware power upgraded, and the TV upgraded, it might be worthwhile to get it re-calibrated.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
My Shunyata order has arrived! Should be a fun couple of weeks of break in ahead, but first I need to get the little guy to bed!

1x Talos Power Conditioner
1x 20A Python PC (1.25m)
3x 15A Cobra PC (1.75m)
1x Python SC
2x Python XLR IC
1x Reference VTX Jumper
1x Hydra Stainles Steel Feet
1x Dark Field Elevators

Very nice Matt!
Old 07-20-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
2 port Talos

??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
??
My mistake. 2 port Hydra. I can never remember names.

Shunyata Research Hydra-Alpha Model 2
Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Last night, however, I didn't have the luxury of time due to being on solo dad duty, so I just plugged everything in at once. Wow. The difference of hearing everything at once was not subtle at all. My observations were similar to what I demoed, but much more noticeable with everything installed at once. The bass does feel slightly leaner (perhaps more controlled?) - the jury is still out on that and perhaps it will improve with break-in.
Matt, nice set-up. As the cables & conditioner break-in further I'll be very interested to hear if you still find the bass a little lean. I don't live near any dealers so I've wondered what affect on sonics conditioners might have.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhcfi View Post
Matt, nice set-up. As the cables & conditioner break-in further I'll be very interested to hear if you still find the bass a little lean. I don't live near any dealers so I've wondered what affect on sonics conditioners might have.
I'll keep you posted. They are at about 100 hours now and I haven't had much time for critical listening. In the time I have listened, I haven't really noted any major differences. Some people on these forums have said that the Zitron circuit takes an especially long time to break in, so I'll probably keep the system going for another week or two to make sure they are fully baked.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:56 PM

Default I have found that the Typhons take several hundred hours to properly settle in

I have a couple of Tritons on my front end - one for my analogue components and one for my digital components. Originally they were on two dedicated lines. Since current draw is nil at any given time, as the components that I am not using are turned off, after some experimentation, I found an initial improvement in the things that the Tritons do so well (a magnification of benefits, if you will) when both Tritons were on the same circuit. About a month ago, I took delivery of two Typhons, one for each of the Triton conditioners. Power cabling to the Tritons and connecting the Typhons are the Zitron Anaconda's. Power cabling to all components are the King Cobra CX's.

With the Typhons installed, I had found that while the sound stage opened up and details like a hand moving across the piano keyboard, or moving a bow across strings became more apparent, the base response of my audio system became thick, exaggerated, and murky. Additionally the midrange somewhat recessed into the stage and became less prominent, and the highs seemed to be recessed, as well.

I decided to wait the five days that were recommended by Shunyata before I did any serious evaluation. After those five days had passed, I listened again. While things had improved, I still felt letdown as the Typhons seemed to be nothing more than a trade off. Yes, the bass was somewhat more defined, I had a wider soundstage with better localization in that stage and timber seemed more dense. This was still at the expense of a recessed midrange and highs, and somewhat, but improved murky, thick, over pronounced bass response.

I continued to be patient and have been listening to my system every evening since those five days had passed. Just this past week, after a month of the installation of the Typhons, the improvements came into fruition, big time! The bass is now deep, defined, and DYNAMIC! Not only has the soundstage remained open, but there is now a layering of depth, with an incredible sense of space and exact placement of the performers in that stage. The midrange is getting spooky real, and the highs seem to go on and up forever! The dynamics of the individual instruments, "action" as Jonathan Valin calls it, has never been better, in my close to forty years experience as an audiophile. I am loving/enjoying the sound of my system, as it has become soooo much more involving that time takes on a different dimension. Hours seem like minutes! Never have I experienced sound that seems so THERE - spontaneous music making in the here and now, and not a recording of that music.

Some things to keep in mind - since I have two Tritons and two Typhons on the same circuit, their effects are greater than with just one of each. The effects are magnified. Hence a magnified sense of settling and break in. Since I'm running two Zitron Anaconda cables to those Typhons, they may take longer to settle in than a smaller gauge cable for that connection. Lastly, I have employed Shunyata power conditioning equipment in various iterations and generations for several years in both my audio systems, and from that prior experience, I should have known better than to rely on "5 days" settling time. Past experience has told me that 500 to 1000 hours time is more like it for the full result and benefit.

Based on the improvements that I am now hearing, I believe that I am almost "there", in terms of the break in of my Typhons, and not only would I not part with them, but I am seriously considering adding one to the third Triton that I am using on my secondary system.

Last edited by Coopersark; 07-23-2013 at 11:59 PM.