AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-25-2013, 03:40 AM

Question Upgrade advice

I am planning a big upgrade and would love to hear feedback on my plan.

I have a mac c2300 preamp, mc275 amp, oppo 105, and sonus faber liuto floor standing speakers with bottom of the line kubala sosna interconnects and speaker cables. The power cords are stock.

My plan is to buy a shunyata research hydra talos. I love the idea of pure power conditioners but they are not for sale in Thailand. Also, from the many comments here, I am excited to get some ww silver Electra series Cables.

My big question is about The cables. Should I buy shunyata PCs to match the talos and WW cables for the rest or should I go with all cables from one company, shunyata or WW?

My other upgrade will be to become an AA member--not Alcoholics Anonymous but Audioafficiando--as soon as I successfully connect my bank account to PayPal.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 05-25-2013, 07:43 AM

Bach, there is absolutely one cable that you should get from Shunyata and that is the one feeding your Talos. Get an Anaconda if funds allow. Python(next best) or Hydra HC (budget best) cable .

For the rest of your equipment you Python (high current/critical gear) or Cobra will complement nicely. There is a very nice synergy when you get the Shunyata cables to your power conditioner. And synergy is mostly free
Old 05-25-2013, 07:47 AM

Hi Ron,

I'll take a stab at your question. I'm sure others will comment as well.

If you have decided to go with the Talos, I would recommend you stick with Shunyata all the way. The synergy of the cables is very important and staying within the family would be highly recommended.

Which Shunyata cables are you considering?

Lastly, the WW cables are fantastic as well. I just would not use them with the Talos.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:58 AM

Definite large +1 on Z Anaconda and Z Python for your feed cable... Its a toss up on Z cobra and Hydra HC depending on which way you want to go... the Z Cobra has a little bit less bass tho most of the Zitron speed and focus which for me is the game changer or you can run with the Hydra HC which has a deeper balance but lacks the focus. The cobra is better from my experience but as always ZMMV.

Also would hold out if possible for reports on the Hydra AV performance which has only just started to roll out... It has 2 extra outlets and equal if not better performance as the Talos. Given the steel case tho it may benefit more from better physical isolation.

Would be also helpful to know an estimate of your spend in terms of figuring out other options... As always these things are also system dependent... Good luck with the upgrade.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:32 PM

Hi Ron
Some months ago i have the same internal question with cables for new Talos and i started with Hydra HC for feeding but when i change it to Anaconda the music was changed in a big way - i could say like the change from 2D to 3D. for the rest I have Shunyata as well - Anaconda for Amp and Pythons for CD and Pre - system is based on Audio Research with Tubes
Old 05-26-2013, 02:14 AM

Dear Crion, Ritmo, audio servant, and Maxflo,

Thank you so very much for your ideas.

Especially, I will seriously consider your suggestion of going with all Shunyata cables. I wish I could hear and compare Shunyata vs. Wireworld in my system but that is very difficult to do without buying them. The next best thing is, of course, trusted advice from AA members. For a few years I've been reading about the many praises from Masterlu and others about WW's silver electra series. This is a little "stuck" in my brain so I will have to think about and research Shunyata cables to see if they can "unseat" WW. But I am totally impressed with the engineering of Shunyata products.

The Anaconda is a beautiful cable. Depending on the wife, it might be a little above my budget. This also depends on how much they markup the cables in Thailand--never as cheap as in the states but from what I've been reading, more reasonable than imports into Europe or Australia/New Zealand. Thank you Crion for giving me several options for pricing of the main cable to the conditioner. I will think about the best for our sound and budget.

Regarding the other cables, Ritmo, I have not even thought about Shunyata cables until I decided yesterday on their power conditioner. Now I have to think about my budget and how and when I can convince my wife to let me spend more money. I always like to get great products that are a high value. And I like to think that my gear reflects this. In any case, I value your suggestion to not pair Shunyata with WW.

Audio servant, I did not know a new product, the Hydra AV, was coming out. Yes, that is exactly the kind of high value product I prize. It lacks the beauty of the Talos, but I definitely could use the extra outlets, and as long as the performance is there, I am now sold on this! And your descriptions of the differences in the top cables helps a lot. For connecting the Hydra AV or Talos, I might be able to swing the Z Python, but based on your description, the Z Cobra seems made for me, high value.

I am not good with budgeting; that's why my wife takes care of the money. For a ballpark figure, I guess around 5-6 K US for the cables. I could spend more, but then I would buy things in stages. For example, keep stock power cords except to the Hydra AV. And if I only got the Hydra AV and a 1 power cord, I could, in theory, consider the mighty anaconda. But I don't want to skew my system too much by getting really expensive cables for not overly expensive components. I am, though, open to any and all suggestions. The development of my audio system is a long-term affair and I am comfortable buying items piece by piece. Until a month ago, my source component was a Western Digital HD media player. I suffered with that for two years before upgrading to the Oppo 105.

And lastly, thank you Maxflo for your thoughts. You sure make a strong case for the anaconda to the hydra AV. Do you think it makes sense to initially buy just the Anaconda PC to the Hydra AV, and save the ICs and PCs to the Pre and Oppo for another upgrade? Then, finally, after that, buying speaker cables for a third upgrade?

Wow, I am positively delirious thinking about all of this. My brain is now on Shunyata overdrive.

Thank you again for all your comments. I'll consider all of this and see if I can visit the dealer for prices.

ron
Old 05-26-2013, 02:53 AM

Ron, regarding your comments on what you've read about Wire World cables, you should keep in mind that Masterlu has a vested interest in praising WW cables because he sells that brand and not Shunyata.

Not saying his comments are not valid, just that you should keep that in mind before making a decision if this is all you are going to base it on.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:28 AM

http://www.audioaficionado.org/491792-post10.html

http://www.audioaficionado.org/495070-post16.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachrocks View Post
Dear Crion, Ritmo, audio servant, and Maxflo,

Thank you so very much for your ideas.

Especially, I will seriously consider your suggestion of going with all Shunyata cables. I wish I could hear and compare Shunyata vs. Wireworld in my system but that is very difficult to do without buying them. The next best thing is, of course, trusted advice from AA members. For a few years I've been reading about the many praises from Masterlu and others about WW's silver electra series. This is a little "stuck" in my brain so I will have to think about and research Shunyata cables to see if they can "unseat" WW. But I am totally impressed with the engineering of Shunyata products.

The Anaconda is a beautiful cable. Depending on the wife, it might be a little above my budget. This also depends on how much they markup the cables in Thailand--never as cheap as in the states but from what I've been reading, more reasonable than imports into Europe or Australia/New Zealand. Thank you Crion for giving me several options for pricing of the main cable to the conditioner. I will think about the best for our sound and budget.

Regarding the other cables, Ritmo, I have not even thought about Shunyata cables until I decided yesterday on their power conditioner. Now I have to think about my budget and how and when I can convince my wife to let me spend more money. I always like to get great products that are a high value. And I like to think that my gear reflects this. In any case, I value your suggestion to not pair Shunyata with WW.

Audio servant, I did not know a new product, the Hydra AV, was coming out. Yes, that is exactly the kind of high value product I prize. It lacks the beauty of the Talos, but I definitely could use the extra outlets, and as long as the performance is there, I am now sold on this! And your descriptions of the differences in the top cables helps a lot. For connecting the Hydra AV or Talos, I might be able to swing the Z Python, but based on your description, the Z Cobra seems made for me, high value.

I am not good with budgeting; that's why my wife takes care of the money. For a ballpark figure, I guess around 5-6 K US for the cables. I could spend more, but then I would buy things in stages. For example, keep stock power cords except to the Hydra AV. And if I only got the Hydra AV and a 1 power cord, I could, in theory, consider the mighty anaconda. But I don't want to skew my system too much by getting really expensive cables for not overly expensive components. I am, though, open to any and all suggestions. The development of my audio system is a long-term affair and I am comfortable buying items piece by piece. Until a month ago, my source component was a Western Digital HD media player. I suffered with that for two years before upgrading to the Oppo 105.

And lastly, thank you Maxflo for your thoughts. You sure make a strong case for the anaconda to the hydra AV. Do you think it makes sense to initially buy just the Anaconda PC to the Hydra AV, and save the ICs and PCs to the Pre and Oppo for another upgrade? Then, finally, after that, buying speaker cables for a third upgrade?

Wow, I am positively delirious thinking about all of this. My brain is now on Shunyata overdrive.

Thank you again for all your comments. I'll consider all of this and see if I can visit the dealer for prices.

ron
Old 05-26-2013, 04:17 AM

Ron, if there's anyway at all that you can swing a Z Anaconda for feed and even one or two Z Pythons initially into your system ( your good wife willing) and upgrade others later then the gear will thank you with good music for years to come... buy her plenty of flowers and good luck...

Graham
Old 05-26-2013, 06:30 AM

Thank you Graham. Your ideas are now planted in my head and will probably flower in the next few months I would love to tame the great Anaconda. I think, though, that I will withhold the name of this great cable from her until after the purchase. I wouldn't want to frighten her with the picture of dangerous snakes slithering around our room.

Junker, your posts are very helpful. Yes, whatever cables I buy, I will definitely upgrade the wall outlet.

And thank you Good Times. I will carefully consider what cables are best for me.

Thanks again everyone for your invaluable comments. It's funny, when I look at and listen to my audio system, I don't only see and hear my gear, but also the great advice of the many people who have helped make it possible.

ron