AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-11-2020, 11:21 PM

Default Watt puppy 5 or 7 compared to Sophia

Seeking advise.

I auditioned the watt puppy 3/2 and was enamored by it. I am about to buy the watt puppy 3/2 but the age is holding me back.
Turns out my budget allows me to get a watt puppy 5 or 7 or a sophia.
Question 1: As i am enamored by the 3/2's soundstage, presence and willfull base, will i be disappointed with the sophia?
Question 2:Should i just get the watt puppy 7?
I have these choices because in the pre-owned market they are within my budget's reach.
Question 3: is the watt puppy 3/2 too old for now? How about the watt puppy 5? Should i settle for at least the 7?
Old 03-11-2020, 11:50 PM

To me, the biggest leap ever made by Wilson in the WP Series was:
WP6 to WP7
A close second was WP8 to Sasha.

I purchased the Sophia 1 (which I preferred over the WP6 solely on the basis of tonality and texture) much to my dealer's chagrin at the time.
But when I heard the WP7 a few years later, I felt that it combined the power, transparency and wide, deep soundstage of the WP6 with the tonality and texture of the Sophia. I purchased the WP7 and, frankly, could have lived with it forever.
Hope that answers your question.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
To me, the biggest leap ever made by Wilson in the WP Series was:
WP6 to WP7
A close second was WP8 to Sasha.

I purchased the Sophia 1 (which I preferred over the WP6 solely on the basis of tonality and texture) much to my dealer's chagrin at the time.
But when I heard the WP7 a few years later, I felt that it combined the power, transparency and wide, deep soundstage of the WP6 with the tonality and texture of the Sophia. I purchased the WP7 and, frankly, could have lived with it forever.
Hope that answers your question.
+1 assuming your room and amp can support the 7. The Sophias are more amp friendly and may mate better with a smaller room.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Retired

Listened to WP5 extensively (well.......... as long I could) and found them to be too 'bright' for my long-term pleasure. Much preferred my CUB II's. A few years later did the same with WP8 and found them much better, though with McIntosh solid-state amplification rather than ?? (I'll think of it eventually). Also listened to the Sophia I and it was better than the WP8 to me. Sophia II & III are supposed to a step up from the I (though I've only heard in passing). There are some great deals on factory certified IIs & IIIs at the moment.

Edit: They amps I could not recall were Theta.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 06-22-2022 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:53 PM

FYI, the WP8 was by most accounts (including mine) the first WP that was worse than the WP before it, the WP7. I agree that the Sophias were better than the WP8.
I drove my Sophias with a 100 WPC tube amp (McIntosh Mc2102). Then I purchased the WP7 and initially continued with the Mac and later used a 110 WPC tube amp (ARC Ref 110). Both drove the WP7s well in my room. My room size is 20x16 with a 9' ceiling.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:36 PM

I cannot seem to find WPs in the market so considering the sophia 1 or 2. I heard the WP3/2 and was impressed by the "bigness" in sound. It was not loudness but the speaker sounded big.

Will the Sophia 1 or 2 give that same presence, bigness as opposed to the WP3/2 considering it has only one woofer while the WP has two woofers?
Old 02-28-2021, 01:14 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbites View Post
I cannot seem to find WPs in the market so considering the sophia 1 or 2. I heard the WP3/2 and was impressed by the "bigness" in sound. It was not loudness but the speaker sounded big.

Will the Sophia 1 or 2 give that same presence, bigness as opposed to the WP3/2 considering it has only one woofer while the WP has two woofers?
You might want to call around to Wilson Authorized Dealers and ask if they have any Certified Authentic Watt/Puppies available. There seems to be quite a bit of refurbishment and resale going on over the past 18 months or so. Some dealers are moving them so quickly that an ad for them never appears. They sell them to their local client base.

Certified Authentic Watt Puppies regardless of vintage offer a 2 year Wilson Audio Factory Warranty when installed by the dealer and a 1 year Warranty even if not installed.

Good Luck in your search
Old 02-28-2021, 02:45 AM

I came back to Wilson after a 20yr. absence. I bought a nice pair of Watt Puppy 5.1`s and i could not be happier. In the last ten years i have owned Magico, DeVore and Audio Note speakers and the Watt Puppy 5.1 to me sound better than another speaker i have owned during the last 20yrs. I have a Pass XA25 and it`s a perfect match with the Watt Puppies.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
You might want to call around to Wilson Authorized Dealers and ask if they have any Certified Authentic Watt/Puppies available. There seems to be quite a bit of refurbishment and resale going on over the past 18 months or so. Some dealers are moving them so quickly that an ad for them never appears. They sell them to their local client base.

Certified Authentic Watt Puppies regardless of vintage offer a 2 year Wilson Audio Factory Warranty when installed by the dealer and a 1 year Warranty even if not installed.

Good Luck in your search
Thank you for the tip on doing a round of the dealers
Old 06-22-2022, 07:39 PM

Hmmmm...... maybe wilson is for me. Seems like u will nevr have a prob resellng them down the road