AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 02-01-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
We are really close to a limited production run on this speaker with the Lii F15 driver. [emoji344][emoji445][emoji16]Attachment 64016
Wow. Just Wow. Went through the Lii website yesterday. If those drivers sound as good as they look...

Can open baffles be made with such large drivers? Would it even be worth it? I'm hoping to build my first speakers this year and will try and keep it simple. This plan caught my eye not for 15's but maybe a 10:

I've seen similar designs with sand filled bases (between sheets of ply)...thoughts?
Old 02-03-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMammal View Post
Wow. Just Wow. Went through the Lii website yesterday. If those drivers sound as good as they look...

Can open baffles be made with such large drivers? Would it even be worth it? I'm hoping to build my first speakers this year and will try and keep it simple. This plan caught my eye not for 15's but maybe a 10:

I've seen similar designs with sand filled bases (between sheets of ply)...thoughts?
Did you catch the 'donut' on the plans that allows the use of different size drivers? A drivers Qts spec is key to how well a driver will perform in and open baffle.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Did you catch the 'donut' on the plans that allows the use of different size drivers? A drivers Qts spec is key to how well a driver will perform in and open baffle.
I thought the donut interesting. Not sure I would start with the interchangeability option though... but those saba green cones are in an essentially open baffle design as is and thought it would be a fun experiment. Just getting my feet wet in learning about qts, qms & qes... i'm a stone cold beginner here. Thanks for the tip! I may see if I can find some info on those parameters for the green cones.

I imagine it will take me at least a month to get a rough-up together (we just moved and other projects beckon) but hope to get this done within the next few months.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I thought the donut interesting. Not sure I would start with the interchangeability option though... but those saba green cones are in an essentially open baffle design as is and thought it would be a fun experiment. Just getting my feet wet in learning about qts, qms & qes... i'm a stone cold beginner here. Thanks for the tip! I may see if I can find some info on those parameters for the green cones.

I imagine it will take me at least a month to get a rough-up together (we just moved and other projects beckon) but hope to get this done within the next few months.
I read your post about the Saba green cones. I'm not sure they can be properly re-coned. Google it.

You may be better of with a pair of Lii Audio 12" for $299. A lot less aggravation.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 02-08-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I read your post about the Saba green cones. I'm not sure they can be properly re-coned. Google it.

You may be better of with a pair of Lii Audio 12" for $299. A lot less aggravation.
Yeah. That's reason speaking for sure. If I do attempt it, it will be done with pure hobby and learning in mind and definitely not with the expectation to revive them. At best it would just be fun to try making some kind of franken-cone. If it makes sound at the end of the day, sweet. If it's trivial... I get a new set of garage speakers lol.

In any case, the mids and tweeters are good. I could practice with those.

Thanks so much for the reply!
Old 02-09-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Yeah. That's reason speaking for sure. If I do attempt it, it will be done with pure hobby and learning in mind and definitely not with the expectation to revive them. At best it would just be fun to try making some kind of franken-cone. If it makes sound at the end of the day, sweet. If it's trivial... I get a new set of garage speakers lol.

In any case, the mids and tweeters are good. I could practice with those.

Thanks so much for the reply!
You're welcome. I have a few Isophon drivers, they are nice but it would be better to find a pair in good shape than to recone.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:06 AM

I see the connection. Those Isophon drivers look incredibly similar to the Saba green cones. Which ones do you have? Do you currently use them & if so, what kind of enclosure are they in? What are your impressions?

The more I look at that Saba Friedberg Automatic 3DS, the more I think it's in pretty good shape minus the 10" drivers & the silk on the front that the mice ate. It appears complete otherwise.

I had thought to just pull the guts for restoration and in the mean time temporarily make it so I can hook one of my amps up to the speakers in the enclosure while making a long-term project out of restoring the circuits.

But... then I flash forward to X-years down the line when I find it half disassembled and think I'd be better off selling the whole radio to someone who is interested in restoring it instead & who has the skills to do so. It was picked up for cheap at a flea market anyway.

I've got a lot of projects going on, probably best to find some local interest in the radio and sell it.

Thanks for allowing me catharsis via forum posts.

Good advice Floridaboy!
Old 02-12-2021, 06:35 AM

I have 4 Isophon ph-2132 coaxial drivers 97db. They have Alnico magnets, a high Qts and should be fine in an open baffle. The issue with re-coning Isophons is that there no OEM spec parts that I know of.

I also have a pair of Wild Burro Audio 8 inch Alnico drivers for open baffles. I'm going to get these going first. I have some 1.5 inch thick pine panels to mount them in and will also try them in a flat pack enclosure from Parts Express, with the backs off or vented.

https://www.parts-express.com/PA-Kno...2-Driv-245-324
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Isophon ph-2132.pdf (47.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-12-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I have 4 Isophon ph-2132 coaxial drivers 97db. They have Alnico magnets, a high Qts and should be fine in an open baffle. The issue with re-coning Isophons is that there no OEM spec parts that I know of.

I also have a pair of Wild Burro Audio 8 inch Alnico drivers for open baffles. I'm going to get these going first. I have some 1.5 inch thick pine panels to mount them in and will also try them in a flat pack enclosure from Parts Express, with the backs off or vented.

https://www.parts-express.com/PA-Kno...2-Driv-245-324
Do your Isophons need re-coning? One of the sites I contacted told me if I gave them certain specs of the driver, they may be able to find suitable parts. I could see that being a long shot though.

That Wild Burro stuff is pretty cool, I'd really like to know how that project turns out and sounds with your Inspire gear. Also, it would be great to hear the differences between the various mounting/enclosure options. That type of project looks much closer to my current skill level.

Good luck! Sounds like you have some cool stuff to play with! Look forward to updates on the Burro's
Old 02-21-2021, 05:01 PM

Default Frugal Horns

I bought a flat pack and assembled the speakers and installed Mark Audio Alpair 10P drivers. I have been playing all day with the Inspire 45 and Inspire Universal. They are in the break in period, but WOW the sound is awesome!!
I am one that really don't believe in a lot of break in they claim 200 hours?

Rich