View Single Post
Old 10-16-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khashmi View Post
Update: Over 120 hours on the new production Gold Lion KT77’s and I’m really digging this power tube. Really really good. After falling in love with 6V6, I was a bit unmoved with the 807, but the KT77 is stopping me dead in my tracks just like the 6V6. It will be interesting to go back to them soon to compare, but I’m no rush.
It's always fun to find new tubes to enjoy. I think I mentioned it earlier but I really didn't like those 807 tubes when I first heard them, to the point that I was going to throw them out. Later on I was able to use them with a different input tube and really enjoyed them. It's all about the combinations!

I finally got some adapters for the 5b/254m, a shrunken down 807 from STC with a loctal base. Didn't really like them with my usual suspects of input tubes. The Raytheon 6f8g t plate came close but I still wasn't satisfied. On a whim I tried a clear glass RCA 6sn7. I haven't any luck with RCA tubes in this amp, input or output. Much to my surprise this combo is great! A satisfyingly thick sound. Sometimes it pays to be insane and have scads of input tubes to try