View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 10:32 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooze View Post
Hello folks. I’m new to the forum and have spent several hours reading through this long and informative thread, primarily looking for tube recommendations for an Inspire KT88 SEP that I purchased over the weekend.
I’m using a pair of Decware Zen Master clones, an open baffle / fullrange driver design rated 100dB / 8 ohm.

I’ve a number of tube options on hand that I’ll begin experimenting with soon, but I wondered if someone might be willing to suggest a combination of output, input/driver and rectifier tubes that would deliver a warm, lush sound in the way of classic designs like the old Leak Stereo 20 that I remember so fondly, or even some of the older CJs?

With the stock GL KT88 the sound is detailed, dynamic, open/transparent, but lacks a little tube warmth and bloom.

Having only acquired the Inspire a couple days ago I haven’t played around much with cables and ancillaries, but I like what I hear so far and I’m just looking for a ‘quick-start’ to get me going in the right direction.

Many thanks!
While not in a an Inspire amp, I've always found the 6550s and other derivative tubes (EL34s, 7591s, KT77s, etc.) to provide a more 'liquid' mid-range. Of course, the bias has to be set properly for each different tube.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 10-16-2022 at 12:39 PM.