View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab77 View Post
Hi guys I am in Oz and have a Scala V2 on order . I will have to wait a month to get them , Im told . It is great to read about your impressions of these speakers . All the more excited now . My only concern is about the amplification. I will be using a Conrad Johnson ET5 pre and an ET250s amplifier . Not sure if it will be sufficient to do these speakers justice . Any thoughts will be appreciated . Thanks
I'm sure there are some advantages in the CJs amplification. But I'm also sure it won't give you the dynamics the V2 can truly produce.

You'll love the mid range detail, and the soundstage- provided you've got the speakers toe-Ed in right, and the placement right too.

It's easy to drive the speakers, but it's not easy to control them. Many amplifiers aren't able to deliver on the varying impedances across the frequency response demanded from the speaker, we ought to note that the amplifiers specifications are based on the minimum impedances, ie 8 ohms across full freq. that, in reality is never the case.

I am excited for you on the purchase of the V2, they are really really fantastic speakers. If I were you, I would live with the CJ & Focal for about a year, before deciding if you need a new set of gear to bring out the best of the V2.

Personally, I vote McIntosh C500&MC601 in solid state for fidelity, control, power. And never neglect your sources too. Use Tchernov Cables, reference series, throughout the system.

Thanks.

PS: I don't think CJ plays well with others coz of bal input configuration. Hot and ground might be swapped. So if you're thinking of swapping one in the interim, it might not work. What are you using for source?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado