View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatadan View Post
In the past I had different power amplifiers starting with MC252, then MC501, MC302, MC312 and now MC462.

Before the MC462, my favourite amplifier was the MC501 mono power amplifiers.

Now not sure if actual listening there is much difference between 500 watts per channel of the MC501 and 450 watts per channel from MC462. But headroom ( dynamic power is better with the MC462 of 3dB vs 1.8dB of the MC501.

Now when even listening at low volume ( 0.45 on meters ) good bass response from Magnepan’s and impressive micro dynamics.

Colour me impressed

Dan
With the passage of nearly two decades and the continued growth of the expertise at McIntosh Labs, it is not out of the realm of possibility that a new MC462 which will easily produce 500 W/channel might yield a more satisfying result in some systems (e.g., Magnepans) compared to a pair of MC501's. One has better individual components, improved topologies and power supplies, etc. and an MC462 might be judged "quicker" with more "grip" in the bass which some will argue (in any case) describes the subtle shift in Mac's house sound over the course of time. So, I believe Dan's observation to be a reasonable one in the context he reports. Undoubtedly, the MC501 is a great SS monoblock amp, but considering in a comparison an amp nearly two decades old reviewed nearly two decades ago suggests exercising some caution.

Happy listening.

Bob
__________________________________________________ ___________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; McIntosh MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: McIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: McIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 01-15-2023 at 02:29 PM.