View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Thanks for the input Charles. If this theory is true then 150 tube watts would equate to 1500 SS watts. That's enough to get me to cancel the 462 and order the 1502 instead.

Now you got me thinking again.

For the record I don't fear tubes at all and have no problem accepting the quirkiness that comes with them.
IMO, this theory is correct. However, I have never liked tube amps. I feel that Mac SS sounds "tubey" and I love my 1.25KW's. But the 1502 is in terms of sound quality by far more powerful than a 462. You need a 1.25KW to match it. Class A watts are extremely expensive. In many respects a 3500 MK II can match a Relentless at 100 watts class A. In general any extremely well made tube amp like an Audio Research will offer this advantage, IMO. But the trade off is reliability. I want to be able to come in, turn it on, and play music, not worrying about tube life or that I might have to turn it off for some reason. There are numerous practical reasons that I absolutely prefer SS over tube and with Mac SS you get a significant slice of tubes or pure class A. I am willing to give up that "little bit" for the practically of SS. And it sounds great, too.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 11-20-2021 at 12:49 PM.