View Single Post
Old 11-18-2022, 02:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
This is impressive. As I wrote in a different string., just connecting a $5 home made ground wire from my EtherRegen to my PD’s ground terminal made a “light switch” difference. What you have done uses the full extent or close to it of the Altaira system, well beyond the likely resources of many of us. But a single Altaira chassis ground system with Venom cables might be very doable. Did you try your experiment with just a chassis ground to see the effect along the way to where you ended up? If so, what were the results? If not, I would ask if you might consider doing that and letting us know the results but having now gone “all the way”, maybe you can’t put what you are now hearing back in the bag.
Hey Rob,
As you've discovered from your ER grounding experiment* (and I am so pleased you did this way cool experiment), any improvements one does to reduce ground-plane noise provides audible improvements in the performance and most importantly, "qualities of musical enjoyment" that the system provides. I've mentioned a number of times that the GP-NR system on Shunyata's power distributors was specifically put there for very sound and important reasons, and personally, I've been mystified why so many folks simply don't use it. It really can provide a benefit, as you've found out. For the last couple years before the Altaira system was available, like you, I was using a home-made ground cables with 14 AWG pure copper wire and connecting the ground terminals of EtherREGEN (ER) and also my First Sound Presence Deluxe preamp (which has a proper chassis ground post on the MCU. Thank you, Emmnanuel Go, of First Sound) to the GP-NR binding posts of my Everest. I also installed ground terminals and CGCs on my dual mono external power supplies for the FS pre, for a further reduction in noise.

Technical Side Bar: The reason connecting a ground cable to your EtherREGEN switch's chassis ground terminal to the GP-NR of Everest made such a notable improvement is because "digital-domain" devices often have quite a lot of noise on their ground-planes as it turns out, including a noise component called high-source impedance leakage current†, which can cause threshold jitter and impact timing (which our brains are very sensitive to for music). The GP-NR system reduces this, and other noise components, significantly.

If folks want to go up a notable level in performance, a very affordable way to do this is use the Shunyata Chassis Ground Cables (aka "CGC"). Even the entry-level Venom ground cables provide a big jump in noise reduction over "home-brew" solutions. This is because they are specifically designed and engineered to lower and reduce impedance, which is one of the key factors of ground-plane noise, as well as having excellent-quality connectors.

If one is going to start out with a single Altaira hub for the overall system, the Chassis Ground hub is the specific model to use. All this is very clearly described in the Altaira System Profile Document*. It's very important for folks to read all the Altaira system information thoroughly, and there are a number of documents to read. Then, work with your trained and certified dealer, as Ivan is.

So, here you go. I've gone to the Shunyata web site, downloaded the System Profile Document, gone into the doc, and cut and pasted the two relevant graphics for a standard stereo system set-up into Photoshop, and combined them here for your reference.

And per your specific question: Unequivocally,YES! Just as Ivan has described in his thread, installing a Chassis Ground hub for an overall system will provide a significant reduction in the noise floor, and remove hash, grit, grunge, and grain. But....even more importantly, you'll hear much more natural, accurate, authentic presentation and Altaira will enhance the engaging musical qualities of your system. And, lest we forget, it's about the music. You'll find yourself very "involved" in the musical presentation and it will be hard to tear yourself away. I was just up until 1 AM last night listening to the little ACAs.

I'll be honest with ya on this one....personally, I would go down on the model/specification of the DAC or preamp and put those funds towards an Altaira, instead. In my experience, it's that foundational, just as a good power distributor is. Cheers, Rob!

*–It's important for potential customers to read through all the Altaira foundational and use-case/application information prior to making a decision as to what Altaira hub or "system" to implement. System link here: https://shunyata.com/altairaroadmap/

There is a lot of information here, but it's there for very important reasons and folks, quite simply, need to do their "homework" on this and then work with their trained and certified dealer. Ivan is trained and certified for the Altaira system, and can help out with what will be the best system(s) to implement for your specific system and needs

†–impact of high-source impedance leakage current by John Swenson:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...f?v=1583429386
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-18-2022 at 03:20 PM.