View Single Post
Old 05-31-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I completely agree and I was hoping someone would point this out. There is obviously no CD/SACD transport. I was able to spot the ARC DAC in the far left corner almost behind the left speaker. For this system to make sense to me the pre/tape deck/streamer/DAC with a transport ought to be next to the turntable. Then long balanced IC's from the pre to the ARC power amps. This system can't play CD's and the tape deck is impractical to use or clean the heads. This would necessitate a total cable and gear rearrangement. I can understand some folks preferring vinyl but the lack of CD/SACD capability in an "million dollar" system is idiosyncratic in the extreme to me. It is not even debatable that CD's and SACD's played through a top line transport and DAC sound really really good through a super speaker with tube ARC amplification like this system has.

In addition, the REL Carbon Special subs will not be able to keep up with the PDL's, IMO. Speakers of this caliber need reference subwoofer's like the REL 32's. My humble XVX will do 110 dB at 24Hz with total 1.5% harmonic distortion (inaudible) and are -3 db at 15Hz, -6 dB at 11 Hz. It will produce over 114 dB of clean sound. I personally have never seen the woofers move even one foot away from them with very heavy bass. There is no way the subs in this system could keep up with my XVX.

Best

Charles
There's a difference between systems set up by music lovers who will spare no expense and systems set up by people who have other motives. You've identified the clearest sign that this system belongs to someone in the second group. I don't say that judgmentally (OK, maybe a little, haha), only to note that this person has different priorities. Kind of like a guy who collects cars but doesn't love to drive them.