View Single Post
Old 05-15-2023, 09:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Shunyata Gemini: Combination power distributor & Altaiara

I recently bought the new Shunyata Gemini combination power distributor/"Altaira-type" CG ground-plane noise reduction hub for my remote music server room.

The back-story:
I've been using a Shunyata PS10 power distributor in the remote server room for the last year or so, and found that using it for powering the Mac Mini Roon Core, Pace router and the power supply for the Sonore OpticalModule (the "upstream" FMC) provided a notable improvement in audio quality.

So...when Gemini, which combines power distributor functionality AND Altaira-type CG ground-plane noise reduction capability into a single unit came on the market a month or so ago, I bought one with the thought that the remote server component system might be a perfect application for Gemini, being able to take advantage of quality power distribution AND ground-plane noise reduction of the streaming source devices.

Back when I was using my LampiZator Baltic 3 DAC and complex SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo network bridge "set-up" in combination with EtherREGEN in the main rack, I noted a significant improvement in audio quality simply by connecting ER's ground terminal to Altaira, as shown here.

However, when I bought the Lumin P1 and moved EtehrREGEN into the remote server room in place of the Sonore OpticalModule, I no longer had an Altaira to connect to ER's ground terminal because the Altairas were still located in the main rack. What to do?

Enter Gemini.
From the product description:
A two-in-one power conditioner and ground-plane noise reduction hub, the Shunyata Gemini Model-4 is ideal for small high-end systems, headphone setups, and network closets.

Capable of powering 200-watt amplifiers in spite of measuring just 4.77 x 12.25 x 5.88 inches, this mighty mini leverages Shunyata’s proven NIC noise isolation chamber technology to provide a common grounding point for the components to which it’s connected — as well as beneficial noise suppression rated at 24dB from input-to-output.

Here's some pics...

The rear panel has 4 component/device outlets and four Altaira-type ground-plane noise reduction terminals and uses a standard C15 power cord.

When I saw Gemini, it occured to me it might be the perfect solution for the devices in the remote server room. So...I bought one.

I ran it in for 5 days after getting it as the main rack's power distributor, and it's an absolutely terrific-sounding power distributor. I'll add that the original Shunyata Triton V1 from back in the day provided approx. -24 dB of noise reduction, and the little Gemini is right in line with that.

AND, it has a four-terminal Altaira-type ground plane noise reduction system built-in.

After running it in for 5 days or so, I moved it into the remote server room and connected my network music server devices: the Mac Mini Roon Core, Pace router, and the AfterDark power supply that powers both the AfterDark Master Clock and EtherREGEN.

You can also see an Alpha CGC ground cable that connects EtherREGEN's ground terminal to Gemini at lower right.

Here's the set-up of the music server devices in the spare room resting on an IKEA Lack table....the Alpha CGC runs down to Gemini. The EtherREGEN connects via a run of LC/LC optical fiber out of ER's A side to the Lumin P1 in the main rack. I've found I get best noise-reduction by connecting the Pace router's Ethernet cable to ER's B-side, and ER's "moat" prevents noise from the dirty Pace router from getting through to ER's A-side, the side where the optical runs out of.

And...it sounds GREAT!

The networked streaming devices, Mac Mini Roon Core, Pace router, and the AfterDark master clock are getting clean, quiet, and quality power distribution, and ER has ground-plane noise reduction. Implementing this set-up provided a notable reduction in AC noise, ground-plane noise, improved clarity, "open-ness", and a much quieter, more natural and engaging presentation. My next steps will be to get a USB-A and RJ45 ground-cable "tail" and connect ground cables with those tails to an unused USB port on the Mac Mini and an unused RJ45 jack on the Pace router over to Gemini "Altaira" terminals. This should provide additional levels of ground-plane noise reduction. Once I get those in, I'll provide an update.

In conclusion, if you're using a "network closet" or "remote server room", where your router, music server, hard drives, master clock and Ethernet switch and attendant power supplies are remotely located away from the main audio rack (which provideds obvious advantages), Gemini might be well-worth considering. Sure worked very well for my set-up. Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-15-2023 at 10:25 PM.