View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post
The AV8805 is also fully balance internally unlike the AV7705
Really? Ok, that's good to know. Thanks for clarifying that. Cause I think I was told that the AV8801/8802 aren't true differential / fully balanced design internally. It's quite surprising to find that the AV8805 is true differential or fully balanced design internally considering its retail price of only $4500.

Take an example of Classe's entry level lower priced Sigma SSP av pre pro (original retail of $5k & $6k for the Mkii version). Only the front LR channels of the Sigma SSP are true differential or fully balanced design whereas the rest of the channels are single ended design (good quality single-ended design) in order for Classe to bring down the cost and price of the Sigma SSP. I had a conversation with Classe's Dave Neauber, who's a head of Classe, upon the release of the Sigma SSP in 2014/2015 regarding the many sacrifices that Classe had to make in order to bring the cost down on the Sigma SSP, which retails for roughly only half of that of the SSP 800, without sacrificing sound quality.

Dave told me that it's very costly to design and execute a proper very good quality true differential or fully balanced design circuitry, and so instead Classe only implemented proper true differential or fully balanced design for only front LR channels on the Sigma SSP and decided to implement and execute good quality single-ended design circuitry for the remaining channels. Cause if you weren't executing a true differential or fully balanced circuitry properly you would wind up amplifying noise further. So, due to budget and cost constraint in order to make a lower priced AV pre pro (Sigma SSP) Dave told me that they decided to go with good quality single-ended design circuitry for the center, surround & subwoofer channels.

There are other sacrifices that Classe had to make in order to design and build a lower priced AV pre pro (Sigma SSP) without sacrificing sound quality. One is the omission of the multi-channel analog audio inputs normally found in many AV processors and AVRs. There are only 2 pairs of stereo analog audio inputs (XLR & RCA) found on the Sigma SSP.
The other is the omission of analog video components connectivities and few other minor connectivities. The rear panel of the Sigma SSP looks more like a typical stereo preamp than a typical home theater surround sound processors due to lack of connectivities / connections found in many typical HT surround sound processors.

Last edited by Dilettante; 09-02-2020 at 03:32 AM.