Thread: Woo WA5-LE
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 02:20 AM
George

I have really been enjoying the amp and headphones. I could tell the stock tubes were a bit etched and that tube upgrades would probably soften and add sophistication. So I ordered upgraded driver tubes and a pair of Sophia 274B... the next day, I realized the real heart of the amp was the 300B. So after some reading went for the Takatsuki 300B, so all told $3,000 in tube upgrades. They have done what I suspected they would do, big jump in musicality, so engaging... mesmerizing. At one point shortly after getting the amp the LCD 2’s sounded the best... then with some time and the new tubes, the Focal Utopias completely dominate, great detail and complete seductive musicality. It has been fun listening to different headphones also. So just for fun and completeness I ordered a set of Sennheiser 800 s; they seem to be the sound staging champs. I knew that first upgrade was a mistake. hmm, this has really gotten out of control. Well, I am enjoying the journey.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 07-15-2020 at 02:25 AM.