View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 PM

I thought I would keep this thread going with some interesting cars and the relevant info, pics and youtube videos when available. I am mostly concentrating on Ferrari right now but have a pretty large collection of other cars.

Today's car and my latest addition to the collection. The 1963 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso. Lusso stands for "Luxury" version. This particular model is modeled after the actual car that was owned by Steve McQueen in marrone metallizzato (chestnut brown metallized)!

Some interesting background info:

At the 1960 Geneva Motor Show, Ferrari introduced a touring version of their potent SWB race car and many owners could then buy near-copies of the cars they saw on the tracks for weekend drives.

The SWB was the first Berlinetta body that was suitable for production on the 2400mm short-wheel-base chassis. Sergio Pininfarina called it “the first of our three quantum leaps in design with Ferrari.”

Ferrari offered the SWB in distinct specification which would be suited for for the demands of the racetrack, highway or sometimes both. Cars varied to suit individual customers’ requirements. Some of the very fastest models were called competitzione and used lightweight aluminum-alloy bodies, while the lusso road-going version had a fully trimmed interior, softer springing and steel body.

The Colombo designed engine was a version of the Ferrari V12 used on earlier 250 GTs, but for 1959 it used the 'outside plug' cylinder head with 12 intake ports. Generally this produced 250 to 280 bhp depending on state of tune.

Early versions had drum brakes while Dunlop discs were used to the model in 1960.

[ame=http://youtu.be/THPtj7slKmU]Steve McQueen's Ferrari - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/GssBf0QwreY]Ferrari 250 Lusso on Mulholland - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by PHC1; 12-09-2011 at 10:54 PM.