View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr_w View Post
Yeah, I saw Rafe's apartment 'flip' article. It is somewhat inspiring and I may try it -- my place is very similar to his. I tweaked a fair bit last night and got to a really good spot. The speakers are about 24" out from the front wall. I can afford a few more inches, but that does not seem to help much. 36" out got them more balanced; however, that means they are way too far into the room and too close to the listener. I have 6" of absorption leaning on the wall behind the enclosures, which tames the low end for now. They are toe-ed in a fair bit. I can barely see the inner sides of the enclosures. Great centre image, stereo guitars are still coming 'from' each channel. Last night was a really good listening session. I was grooving and pulling a lot of emotion out of the system. There were some amazing phase effects from some 60's psych-soundtracks; I'd swear guitars where coming from 180° to my left. Still not a ton of depth in the sound stage, but that's probably more room effect than anything. And yeah, I was looking around a possible move this winter. It was going to cost me an extra $150K on my mortgage just for another bedroom... bonkers. steve
150k for a bedroom, sounds like a bargain! Or buy a dump on first avenue near Victoria for 1.5mil!

Contacting Rafe is not a bad idea. He can give you come pointed. He is a friend of mine and a super guy.