View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
AVfile....thanks for this input. I'd be curious as to your dealer's reasoning in recommending against the periphery ring. I can see where it may not be a significant help in some cases, but with others it would seem to make lots of sense. I have a pretty good sized record collection, and its surprising to see how, even on so-called "audiophile" pressings, how serious some of the warpage is! I've paid some pretty good coin for some of these, and I just shake my head looking at the warpage, particularly at the outer edge. It would seem that the cartridge/stylus going for a roller coaster ride can't be very good, both it terms of wear and the introduction of subsonics.
I didn’t question it as I am not bothered too much by warped records, and happy to save the cost. I use a screw down clamp right now that takes care of 99% of my records and never heard a problem on the rest. It may be more of a problem for unipivot arms (never had one, just guessing).

The other factor for me is knowing that any extra steps added to an already laborious playback process make it that much more of an event, therefore I would be slightly less likely to put on a record and more likely to put on digital.