View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 02:11 PM
Cool, calm scientist

So....here's a funny story about watches.

Just recently, I got a new piece for the collection, the (relatively new) and "hot" Seiko 1965 Prospex Diver, aka the SPB143. This watch has gotten considerable positive press over the last year as one of the nicest mechanical dive watches from Seiko since the legendary "62 MAS" (the SPB143 is also rather affectionately referred to as the "63 MAS" )

Anyhoo...this watch is just flat-out gorgeous with a slim, 40mm case with drilled lugs (yay!) and a beautiful, brushed anthracite gray dial and polished indices. The neutral colorway makes it a strap monster for many different types and colors of straps.

Here's a photo I took of mine last week..

One of the issues, though, with this particular reference is it's accuracy, with many folks complaing of the watch running really fast or, alternatively really slow (e.g. running ± >40 sec/day.). I was having the same issues, so I took it to my local watchmaker to have it regulated. Keeping an eye on it the last couple days, it seemed to be running about -3 sec/day seconds slow. My watchmaker also gave me a tip for my specific watch to take it off at night and place it face down overnight, as in that orientation it runs a few seconds fast, and thus, it would help keep more accurate time through the day.

So, I imagine my surprise today when I came out of the bedroom wearing my automatically-time corrected G-Shock Mudmaster GG-B100-1A (GREAT watch, BTW) on to find out that the SPB was now...1 hour fast! What the hey?

Then, I remembered today was the start of Standard Time (aka "fall back"), and that the Mudmaster had re-set itself, but the SPB had not.

Doh!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-07-2021 at 02:15 PM.