View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 11:43 AM

Default Yggdrasil now in three flavors

I'm surprised no one's posted on this subforum about this news yet... what happened to all the Schiit enthusiasts?

https://darko.audio/2021/09/schiit-a...ggdrasil-dacs/

So, partly in response to supply shortages for parts going into the original Analog 2 board (now branded the "OG"), Schiit had devised a number of Yggdrasil variations comprised of different components and design strategies. From that effort, they decided to bring to market three different "flavors" of the Yggy: the unchanged "OG" version ($2599); the "Less is More" LIM version which uses 16-bit TI DAC chips ($2199); and the "More is Less" MIL version which uses 20-bit TI DAC chips ($2349). The specific details are in the Darko link above. You can also send in your current Yggy to be upgraded to any one of these three flavors: LIM $450 // MIL $550 // OG $750. As I understand it, the new versions are named as such because the overall impression from Schiit's internal testing was that the cheaper, 16-bit chips somehow resulted in higher quality sound than the more detailed 20-bit chips. Or, less bits = better music, hence "less is more" and vice versa.

Anyone thinking about jumping on the Schiit train in light of the new Yggy versions? I've actually taken the plunge and have ordered an upgrade from my trusty Analog 1 Yggy to "Less is More", alongside an upgrade to Unison USB since the USB stage died on me last year. I kept putting off sending it in for service since I also intended to do the Analog 2 upgrade on the same shipping trip, and a couple weeks ago I very nearly ordered that service but hesitated. So, last week when they announced LIM and MIL, I took it as a sign, went with my gut and got in queue for LIM. I'm super excited for my Yggy to come back all new 'n' improved, so I hope I'm not in for a terribly long wait.

[UPDATE] And wouldn't ya know it, I got the email from Schiit this afternoon giving me the go-ahead to ship my Yggy on over with an RMA number. I just might be burning in the new upgrades by the end of the month

Last edited by saru; 09-14-2021 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Typo fix, and update