View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
I have three dedicated lines (same phase). Each of my mono Pass Labs amps are plugged directly into the wall (w/ Shunyata power cords). Everything else is plugged into my Shunyata PC which is plugged into the last dedicated line. Works well.
JoeN, I think your arrangement represents a well thought out position on power conditioners. Eventually Mac is going to update the MC2KW. I have thought extensively about buying a trio of them when they come out. However, the main feature of these amps is their overbuilt power supplies (two huge supplies per amp). I own three 1.25 KW's that are plugged into to three Niagara 5000's each with a dedicated 20 amp line.

If I bought the larger amps I don't think I'd use my 5000's and I think each amp needs two outlets. For this reason I'm going to pass on the Mac super amps. I think the stiffer the amp's power supply, the less it needs a power conditioner. All that is needed is a superb power cord. The new Shunyata cord with its built in passive conditioner would be my choice.

One thing often overlooked is the real protection a power conditioner provides against power surges. When I have a power outage the music simply stops. No loud noises at all. The system simply shuts down quietly the generator comes on smoothly and the music returns. A good power conditioner acts as a firewall and provides peace of mind. I have been extremely pleased with the manner in which my AQ Niagara's operate in the event of a power outage to protect my system.

If I do bite for the new super amps I will probably retain my 1.2KW for the sub and go with the 2.1KW's for the mains. I would probably continue to use my 5000's which would allow me not to install extra lines.

Best

Charles

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made cultured marble slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house.

Last edited by Charles; 01-19-2021 at 04:59 AM.