View Single Post
Old 12-17-2023, 04:54 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
That was my old stomping grounds back in the Hippy days. I do know of him. In fact at one time I owned a Mac 240 and a I think 2300 preamp with a pair of JBL Tower speakers. No I didn't Know him and had never been in his store. But I know of his Mac outlet.

I lived at the Parkway House at 21st and the Parkway back then. My store (RESCO ELECTRONICS) was on Chestnut street on the corner across from the Ben Franklin Hotel. I think at one point the head office had tried to get Mac into our Store but back then there were fair trade price laws and Dealer Distance sales protection so we were turned down.

Up the street from us on Chestnut street about 3 blocks was " Sam Goody" Hi Fi Store on the second floor and record sales on the first. And up the street from Sam's place was "Nathen Muchnik" store who sold "Grundig Hi Fi and Radios.

Back then HiFi was rock-en. Latter down the road a friend of mine opened a store called " Town Stereo" located at the "Widener Building street level at Broad and Chestnut. They only sold everything "Panasonic" They had a Demo room with the CD-4 Quad system. I used to work there Part time to help him out.

He did very well selling only Panasonic as at that time they made all kinds of crazy stuff.
Small world. I lived at 20th & Cherry (next to Moore College of Art) and walked to the Penn campus most every day, so would go by (and into) Dan's shop quite often. Very much "old school", stuffed with gear of all sorts, but primarily McIntosh (guess that's stuck with me).
You likely recall Third Street Jazz, which was the largest record store in the world at the time ('70s). Sadly, it closed in '88 due to the CD craze. Remember Sam Goody's quite well.
As you've said, fond memories.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag