View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Regarding the "music radar" link, and we thank you for that, all the speakers listed were bridge monitors. nothing bigger than an 8 inch LF, and no qualifying information (data sheet)
So of course you can't reproduce an orchestral tutti in an average size room. But there are larger speakers built for monitoring recordings. The ATC SCM 100 and the JBL LSR6332 come to mind. both are capable of capturing a full orchestral tutti, and both have amazingly similar response curves. I've not heard the ATC but I've heard from others that they sound very much like the JBL's.
I would take Kal's position that the goal is to reproduce live music. As far as a recording is concerned the system should deliver what is there. If one is listening to a recording to a recording that is unlistenable, then the engineer wasn't doing his/her job
Well, since you inquired, I shared my opinion based on what is considered common knowledge that studio speakers are typically striving for accuracy and are fairly unforgiving and audiophile speakers are voiced by their designers for musicality (most of the time). One criteria does not necessarily rule out the other but try to live with a studio speaker and let us know what you think long term.

After all, most recordings, the bulk of them, not the audiophile recordings, were all mastered on small studio speakers from what I’ve seen with some exceptions such as the high end studios.

Try to listen to a set of headphones with a flat response. First you won’t find a pair and second it will not be enjoyable. The human ear is not linear.