View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghasley View Post
Its great to go and demo gear and for it to exceed your expectations, like the 866 evidently did. Its unfortunate the Moon setup didn't...I'll use the old audiophile sayings in reference to the Moon setup: "maybe it wasn't broken in", "what kind of cables", "what about the room", "maybe the system matching"....

The 866 is simply an amazing accomplishment by Boulder. The more people that experience it, the more $15,000 sound considerably underpriced. Warm regards.
Certainly not throwing shade on Moon; I really admire the brand and would like to own it someday. Just need to find the right system combo to satisfy my sonic preference.

The 866 was a total unknown to me until I walked into the store. I was glad to come home to find this thread and other information on it which helped confirm my impressions. I need to go back and do a little more research, but I will ask here as well since Boulder seems to rely on it's product to sell itself rather than detailed marketing documents. It appears that the only way this unit works as a streamer is if you use the Roon endpoint provision. Otherwise the unit is strictly an integrated with a built-in dac. Correct? Which would be fine except if it makes the display just a fancy input selector. If one were to plug a freestanding streamer into the dac, will the screen display any song information or album art? As with any digital product, I am always cautious about limited shelf life of the technology, especially if the product is reliant on third party providers such as Roon, Tidal, etc. that can flame out unexpectedly. But you would still end up with a fantastic integrated.