Thread: Simaudio
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 09:09 PM

"Would you guys consider it a musical amp with good harmonics?"

Too many high end transistor amps fit this description. Simaudio does too.

"I'm curious as to how the sound compares to other solid state amps."

This is too hard to describe not knowing what other solid state amps you have spent extended listening to and are familiar with. The sound will also vary depending on what loudspeakers you are driving.

Simaudio sounds like fully balanced zero-feedback designs. The sound reminds me of Ayre amplifiers. I own the Moon W-5. The sound is spacious, airy, articulate, fast, detailed, very good driver control with cone type loudspeakers. They made the Bel Canto sound thin. They don't have the absolute grip and sound textures from bass control compared to Krell or (traditional power supply) Levinson. Simaudio I found more dynamic than the McIntosh and perhaps not as warm. They sound different from the Pass labs. The preamp you are using will also influence your results.

The musical fidelity and ARC amps I have heard, most have been tube transistor hybrids. I don't consider them to be solid state. It's been too long since I've heard Boulder amps, and their stuff has evolved.

The newer Simaudio amps have gotten quieter with blacker backgrounds but also the prices have escalated. Much to do with the plummeting American dollar against the Canadian dollar.